Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,030   Online: 1268
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Davec101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    897
    Images
    125

    Gampi Torinoko for Platinum Printing

    Am looking for a good japanese paper for printing in platinum, i have been testing the B&S Heavyweight Kozo which i like although i would like a more satin finish of that I have seen is possible with the Gampi. Anyone have experience with Gampi Torinoko? Its about £12 ($15) a sheet but would be worth it if gives me the right finish.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis MN USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101 View Post
    Am looking for a good japanese paper for printing in platinum, i have been testing the B&S Heavyweight Kozo which i like although i would like a more satin finish of that I have seen is possible with the Gampi. Anyone have experience with Gampi Torinoko? Its about £12 ($15) a sheet but would be worth it if gives me the right finish.
    I use it a lot. It's nice and heavy and works well with platinum. The thickness can vary a bit though from sheet to sheet.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

  3. #3
    Davec101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    897
    Images
    125
    Do you have any scanned examples? Below is Kozo vs Platine. For some images Kozo is exquisite and gives great luminosity to a print.

    Last edited by Davec101; 11-27-2010 at 04:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis MN USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101 View Post
    Do you have any scanned examples? Below is Kozo vs Platine. For some images Kozo is exquisite and gives great luminosity to a print.

    Not with me at the moment. I'll see what's at the studio next week.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

  5. #5
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,051
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    424
    I've been playing around with the light Kozo - I love it for portraits in pt/pd.

  6. #6
    Davec101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    897
    Images
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I've been playing around with the light Kozo - I love it for portraits in pt/pd.
    How does it compare to the heavy weight Kozo? what's it like to coat. Recently i saw some prints that used a light weight translucent gampi and they where backed with a bright white paper which enhanced the luminosity of the final print. Is that possible with the light weight kozo?

    thanks
    Last edited by Davec101; 11-28-2010 at 12:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

  7. #7
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,051
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101 View Post
    How does it compare to the heavy weight Kozo? what's it like to coat. Recently i saw some prints that used a light weight translucent gampi and they where backed with a bright white paper which enhanced the luminosity of the final print. Is that possible with the light weight kozo?

    thanks
    yes, the lightweight Kozo works the same way. What you back it with definitely alters the mood and tone of the piece. I found it to coat quite easily, without requiring a whole lot more emulsion than my COT320 does. It does coat pretty quickly because it is fairly absorbent so you have to be on the ball about coating.

  8. #8
    Davec101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    897
    Images
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    yes, the lightweight Kozo works the same way. What you back it with definitely alters the mood and tone of the piece. I found it to coat quite easily, without requiring a whole lot more emulsion than my COT320 does. It does coat pretty quickly because it is fairly absorbent so you have to be on the ball about coating.
    I read that the lightweight kozo has lines on one side, do they show up on the final print?
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

  9. #9
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,051
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101 View Post
    I read that the lightweight kozo has lines on one side, do they show up on the final print?
    Only if you coat on the wrong side.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    236
    David,

    Which of the Gampi Torinokos are you looking for. In mucking around I have run across a number of them.

    Jan Pietrzak



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin