Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,286   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Cool replies and cool video, Paul! Thanks for sharing. I´m kind of immune to Darwin awards at this moment, my creative genes have long been passed on to a new generation... :-)). By the way, who is Avedon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarraboy View Post
    By the way, who is Avedon?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think it'd be indelible... for a tattoo to be permanent, it has to go into the lower layers of the skin. The top layers, that would soak up things like chemicals, eventually come off in the form of dead skin that your body constantly renews. Short of obtaining a third degree burn and then cyanotyping over that (which I DO NOT recommend, third degree burns are serious business but it's making the point about how deep the pigment has to go into the skin...), it wouldn't work.

If you're really interested in having a tattoo done, I'm sure you can get prussian blue pigments (though there's probably better ink/pigment choices) and most tattoo artists can do a direct photocopy of whatever you want and then transfer it to your skin and tattoo through that with a proper tattoo needle and ink. The biggest problem with transferring photographs to the body is... the body moves. It grows, it sags, it's three-dimensional not flat like a piece of paper, the skin and cells constantly renew itself and you get very slight jostling of the ink. It will eventually get a little bit blurry over the years. I've learned that with just the past 10 years of having my tattoo.
    Also would be wary about the suntan/sunburning idea but only because I was very unfortunate as a child, in my little stroller, falling asleep with my hand on my knee and for years and years and years, and as i grew up, i developed a "monster print" on my knee. It *might* not be noticeable now that I'm 28 but it was when I was a teenager and I don't tan much in the first place. Again, skin sags, moves, etc. you may end up with an ugly square with a blob in the middle.

Mark Fisher - you'll probably find that a "magic eraser" which is a very very very microscopically fine abrasive, will get rid of all your blue staining except for anything that has sunk into porous materials. Prussian blue is a solid material suspended in water/liquid but very fine... so it can appear to stain but it's not very hard to get out of non-porous materials like plastic trays etc.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Excellent Heather, thank you. I was obviously asking about something to be done just to go to a party and then washing away when back home. I do have real tattoos and i thoroughly understand about the skin layers. My main concern was about the toxicity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    The biggest problem with transferring photographs to the body is... the body moves. It grows, it sags, it's three-dimensional not flat like a piece of paper, the skin and cells constantly renew itself and you get very slight jostling of the ink. It will eventually get a little bit blurry over the years.
    A delicate humming bird on the breast can turn into a condor later in life!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    avedon used the sun to tatoo a negative on himself.
    he seemed very proud of this accomplishment when interviewed many years later.
    You don't say?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using a strong alkaline soap/cleanse should get rid of any blue stains in your darkroom. Cyanotypes fade with exposure to alkaline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin