Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,086   Online: 1225

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry to bring this thread back. I ordered my glyoxal from photographers formulary. However, you can use formalin, which is sold at aquarium supply stores in place of glyoxal.

combine 25ml of formalin to 1000mls of distilled water (outdoors) and submerge your paper coated with (plain) gelatin for a minute or two then hang to dry outdoors for at least a day. Formalin contains formaldehyde which is flammable and poisonous. Wear nitrate gloves, and definitely work out doors.

Glyoxal is my preference because it is slightly easier to work with. The jurys still out if it is less dangerous, so I take every precaution.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Regarding printing on an unglazed tile as per Nicholas suggestion, I have made a platinum print on a green fired plain white tile and then put clear glaze over the print and refired it. I did that about 20 years ago and I still have it today in use as my coffee mug place on my counter. Very durable.. but light in tone.

dennis

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Alex, when you say "submerge your paper" above, can i read "submerge your tile"? This second advice from you is quite different from your previous one in this same thread!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If possible go for the glyoxal version, the formalin is pretty bad for you. But if you are on a tight deadline, it'd be quicker to acquire some formalin because it can be found locally. If you have chrome alum around you can use PE's recomendations as well. My poorly communicated point was that for a subbing layer, knox gelatin seems to be sufficient in place of photo-grade gelatin.

Yes you can substitute the tile for paper in the above post. Haha

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks Alex, i will try the first recipe you mentioned (glyoxal + gelatin, heated). Instead, i will replace the glyoxal with formalin. Happy New Year!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Making the cyanotype on an unglazed tile and then glazing it might work better.
    Do NOT heat cyanotype chemicals - see below
    Reactivity:

Releases hydrogen cyanide gas if heated, if hotacid is added, or if exposed to strongultraviolet light (McCann, 1994)
    http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/...rricyanide.pdf

[IMG]file:///page2image9744[/IMG]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin