Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,248   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Best blue pigments for gum bichromate

What are the best blue pigments for gum bichromate? I tried to do a French ultramarine this afternoon and instead of being a nice deep blue, it turned out to be more of a pale blue-gray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    What are the best blue pigments for gum bichromate? I tried to do a French ultramarine this afternoon and instead of being a nice deep blue, it turned out to be more of a pale blue-gray.
    I don't know if this would be the 'best' blue, but I like the Winsor & Newton 'Winsor Blue ( red shade ) PB 15. I usually use it as a late gum layer to deepen shadows or shift tone. I usually use cyanotype if I want a strong blue image or as 1st layer of tri-color. I do like it quite a bit as a forth layer on my tri-color gums.

Here is a link to handprint on the blue pigments

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterb.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for that- that's very helpful, especially the handprint article.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That handprint article is great. Did he do the same for magenta (red) and yellow pigments?
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Scott,

I'm a great fan of combining pigments. My favorite blue is Daniel Smith's 'Verditer Blue', which prints a beautiful sky blue. When I want something punchier, I add a dab of Prussian Blue and Quinacridone Rose to the Verditer. But, of course, I can never leave well enough alone. So many colors, so little time!!

I love that you'll be blogging about your gum fun. I imagine you'll take gum to the level of craftsmanship and great images you show with Pt/Pd. Post soon! (And, I hope Art Reactor finds a new home space. Best of luck.)

d

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Denise- thanks for the wonderful compliments. I've posted a few of my latest efforts in my gallery here. I'll keep writing about my experiences as I have them. I took a gum printing class a year ago at Project Basho, then had to put it aside for a variety of reasons until recently. I picked it back up again, and with a bit of help from another friend here who does gum, got back on track. Getting started again was a bit of a steep learning curve, as I was doing a number of things not quite right, but the biggest mistake was just grossly over-exposing my prints and not knowing where I needed to start.

Last edited by TheFlyingCamera; 12-06-2010 at 06:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are lovely portraits, Scott. I especially like the first. It's beautifully evocative of an Autochrome. Getting such nice skin tones is a real feat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    That handprint article is great. Did he do the same for magenta (red) and yellow pigments?
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com
    Yes. Handprint has lots of info on the various watercolors good descriptions and tested. The Watercolors guide is quite good.

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html

And to TheFlyinCamera. Have been enjoying your gallery posts as well. Wonderful portraits and superb printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the link. I'm currently using WN blue, yellow and red for my full color gum prints. They work pretty well, but I'm always looking for the perfect combination that will result in truer color. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    When talking to Christina Anderson , she did say using a cyanotype as the first layer worked really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin