Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,515   Online: 902

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Might I suggest as an alternative, creating photograms using a timed electric light-source, followed by "developing-out" your image.

Dann
    Last edited by anon12345; 12-23-2010 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: reworded

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are my latest attempts using the same Oriental Seagull VC paper from the first two attempts. This time tho, I left them out for about 4 hours and fixed for 45min. Dann, I think that you are correct, I do need to use an electric source as the winter sun might not be producing enough UV light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0006.jpg   scan0007.jpg   scan0008.jpg  
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much better. I don't understand the long fixing time though. I fix the same as for any print and have had no problems. Two minutes for RC papers works for me.
    Unless you have a cloudless day, lumen prints will probably take quite a while, but two to four hours is about right in my experience.
    If you use artificial light, you will need UV lights to get the same effect - sort of like making cyanotypes, salt prints, etc.
    Have fun and Merry Christmas.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for the long fix time. I was using not quite exhausted fixer and I wanted to see if they would get darker with a longer fix time. The last one is the first one to get fixed the other two received a water bath before fixing to see if that affected the end result.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    . . . . Dann, I think that you are correct, I do need to use an electric source as the winter sun might not be producing enough UV light.
    Oooops, I probably over-simplified my original reply. I wanted to suggest "developing" as an alternative because you can reduce your exposure times down to just a few seconds per print. The last print I made in this fashion had an exposure time of only 22.5 seconds, and that was also including a #3 polycontrast filter over the light-source. I then developed the paper normally to bring out the latent image. Granted, making prints with the sun will have a different look entirely, but I rarely get the chance to see the sun. So, I have spent more time fooling around with photograms using electric lighting as the light-source.

Dann
    Last edited by anon12345; 12-24-2010 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    joel

great work you have posted !
    i have to mix some gold toner to use before
    my hypo to see if my in camera lumen prints will remain on the paper
    you are lucky your images still exist .. when i fix mine they vanish

john

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin