Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,433   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to screw up a Lumen print.

Due to the Holiday's, I have had some time off and I decided to experiment with some old paper I had lying around with no immediate plans for. I had been reading about Lumen prints, not really my thing but I decided to give it a try. I must say tho, that I had some fun with stuff just laying around the house and the sun as my UV source. The first to prints I did turned out fairly well if not very light in tone and value. I really wanted to get a darker image than what I go from the first so I let the second expose for a longer period of time but it didn't darken up much over the first. The third is where it gets really interesting. I exposed that one for about 45min and then I found out why you don't develop these prints. I mixed up a batch of Caffenol and developed it for about ten minutes and then washed it with water and fixed it for 5min. There is an image on the paper but it is extremely dark, as in black.
    I am going to have to try this again tomorrow when I have more sun light but I will forgo the developing process.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't develop them. Let them darken in the sun a little darker than you want the final print, then put them straight into the fix. The image will bleach a little, but retain most of the tone and color.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on paper just fixing will result in muddy, usually ugly colors. Toning before fixing will result in better colors. Paper and exposure times will also affect colors produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just playing around and wanted to see what would happen if I developed it, well, I found out. I had not gotten to the point of toning as this is just an experiment on what NOT to do. I need to get a UV lamp for when I start to do contact printing, so it can be used for both of these processes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've never tried toning them, so put some up here to show us what they look like!
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Greg said, you don't 'develop' Lumen' prints. I leave mine from two to four hours, until they look dark enough. Then I fix. Fixing tends to lighten them, so be sure they're quite dark. You have to experiment as different papers, time of year, etc. make a difference. I don't put mine directly in the sun. I put them in north shade where they get good UV.
    I've not had much luck with toning, but that don't mean you shouldn't try it. I also find old papers seem to work better. Last Summer I bought two boxes of Unicolor Gallerie from about 1970 from an old camera shop. It's very interesting! Check my web site for my results.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I've never tried toning them, so put some up here to show us what they look like!

Forte Polywarmtone toned with Gold Chloride/Thiourea

I tested some with Kentmere Warmtone VC and depending on toner you can get a delicate blue out of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Willrea, just how do you tone the print and how long do you expose to UV? This is my first time doing this and I like the effect that I got today but my times where less than an hour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have to look at my notes, but for the Gold/Thiourea toner I tone for a few minutes, put it in a water bath for a minute and then fix.

My exposures in direct sunlight are in the range of 2-4 hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what I have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0001.jpg   scan0002.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin