Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,713   Online: 793

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

homemade paper for alternative process

I'm starting a project which may be a bit over ambitious, but maybe not. I want to create 100% rag paper my self with a watermark and deckles on all four sides. I want to control the type and amount of sizing I use. I plan to use it for either Ziatype or Na2 Palladium. Recommendations of one over the other....I've used the Na2 with success in the pas, but Ziatype is supposed to be more tolerant of paper and has more color options. My initial research shows thatmaking the paper should be fairly straightforward. I plan to use AKD for sizing, but I have no idea how much. I'm tired of getting different batches with different characteristics. Anyone out there using their own handmade paper for alternative process printing? Any advice?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Someone I work with at the art center makes beautiful papers and I can check with her, but not until after the first of the year. We ran some test with some of her papers with cyanotype and one just "melted" in front of our very eyes. However, some worked out fine.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From what I can gather, the trick is to get the sizing right....too little and it is blotter paper...too much and it becomes water proof. I hadn't thought about wet strength, though. If anyone has some thoughts about that too, I'd love to hear it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the sizing I would start at about 3 tsp per pound of dry fiber. Wet strength is a function of many variables: the source of your fibers, how the fibers are processed, how you form the sheet, calendaring, etc. You can find a lot of info at twinrocker.com - they are also a great source for fibers and finished hand-made papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I'm starting a project which may be a bit over ambitious, but maybe not....
    My initial research shows thatmaking the paper should be fairly straightforward.
    The theory is straightforward, the actual practice is not so simple
    Type of fiber, the 'cut', water, additives, poured vs. 'pulled' etc., pressing, drying all play a part in the final product. I couched cold-press cotton and abaca papers this past summer; the cotton, even with AKD falls apart when soaked (fibres too short maybe?). The abaca is very tough, but far from being bright white, and is deeply textured. Cyanotypes on the cotton looked amazing just before the paper dissolved I'm using this stuff for mattes instead of actual printing now
    Wishing you much greater success than I've had!
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen identical papers at different weights behave differently as well. I've seen a 90# paper "melt" in the process while an equivalent heavier weight version survived just fine. I've also seen equivalent cold press fall apart while the hot press version survived just fine. I'm no expert here, just commenting from the POV of a coater of Silver Halide emulsions (and processor).

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be famous alt list would be more experienced and helpful.

I am not receiving lots of posts from there but there are real DIY people over there.

And bostick sullivan will be your address at the future for buying chemicals so their forum will be useful for you.

alt photography list have two addresses , one old from an university at north west and than moved to commercial addresses.

Let me give you first , original address for archives :

http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process/

second address for moved old list to the new :

for joining , please fill the forum and read carefully what is told to you there .

http://lists.altphotolist.org/mailma...o-process-list

You will find a great atmosphere there.

Good luck .

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like rag (long fiber) might be a good place to start? I think I'll give Twinrocker a call this week to get their opinion. It also sounds like making a press would be a good idea.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin