Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,558   Online: 921

Thread: Argyrotype Help

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Argyrotype Help

Hello,

I've been using the Argyrotype kit as sold by Bostick & Sullivan, and have tried endlessly, following the directions to the T, with the same result.

Whenever I process an image, it comes out a light grey and VERY splotchy, with hardly any contrast!

I have tried Lana, Fabriano, and BFK papers, I have tried adding Tween20 to the coating solution, different negatives (usually I either use an 8x10, or Pictorico), and I have even tried extremely overexposing the image - but NOTHING seems to work!

Any ideas?? Over half my bottle is gone, and I don't know what to do!

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is your solution a commercial brand? I had a bad bottle of Fotospeed Argyrotype and after speaking to them on the telephone and returning it,, I was told that they had tested it and found it to be blotchy and faulty. Quickly replaced and very helpful.
    As for the grey colour, I wonder if you are heat drying it. I used to dry some in a warm oven until I realised that it was the heat which was changing the colour - different heats, different colours.

Shooter
    35mm
    My experiences with argyro were comprehended by the same failure

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It's all about the paper. I've used Lenox paper with success: http://www.danielsmith.com/ItemSearc...lenox--srcin-1

Another paper that works very well is EPSON Premium Presentation Paper, Matte. This paper is designed for digital printers but works exceptionally for some of the alternative processes. Hope this helps.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin