Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 732

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who suggested film printed onto collodion? There are methods for coating plates that can be very smooth, especially if one has money to spend. Anyway, sure you can get this look with a silver print...looks like filtration, lighting, makeup. Do you know it's not photoshop? Could be a hybrid, anything is possible. John as has good point... contact the maker, nothing better than the horses mouth if you really want to know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doesn't look like a tintype to me. Looks more like a William Mortensen experiment taken to the Nth degree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't look like one to me either. I'd say d....l but could be a silver print and the defined facial features acheived with make up.
    The tip of the nose to the ears are sharp so this depth of field suggests a small aperture. If this was collodion the sitter would have to be very still for a long time or in a head clamp. Enlarging the picture on my screen I can see 2 catchlights in the eyes which look like 2 large softboxes ?
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It just looks fakey to me, and thats why I suggested AT....I dont like it myself, looks cold, lifeless like a wax figure. I have never seen that kind of look from analog, but I'm no expert on all the alternative processes. I know RM uses alternate processes a lot but this image apparently came from a magazine shoot and d is the natural choice for that...I have no idea if he ever used it or not though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me, it doesn't really look that different from anything I'd normally see browsing a magazine (not that I do that of course...) or any fashion shoot. If I had to guess I'd say it's large or medium format black & white film. Maybe Tmax, again, if I had to guess. Or it could just as easily be digital of course.

But that being said, I hope we can find out and get the definitive answer; I'd love to be wrong.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's not just a normal print from a tmax neg, its more than just "good makeup and lighting". There is something going on here that is..... different. Here's a few more from same photographer in same style:

http://yodithdammlash.blogspot.com/2...ede-photo.html
    -and-
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1237&bih=690
    -and-
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1237&bih=690

-and-

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...muelsson-chef/

For those who say to reach out to the photographer: reaching the president would be easier....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Much of what has been written about this guy mentions that he makes ambrotypes, among other alt processes. There seems to be interviews out there and a book, maybe the answer is there. I might suggest finding the gallery that represents his work, posing as collector and asking a lot of questions. Seriously. If you can see an actual print, or plate or whatever it is all the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how it's done, but to me she looks like an alien.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if the film is dense enough
    or processed a certain way
    a straight silver print, or
    unmanipulated scan
    can look similar to this ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry that I'm not seeing more, but I think it's just a damn good job of lighting and exposure.

There are two catch lights in the eyes of all the examples, and each is a vertical line.

What I see are two key lights with no fill lights. The two key lights are positioned almost directly axially in line with the aperture (much like the discussion Mustafa started a few weeks ago about a Weston print). Think of one of the old Nikonus Ikelite underwater monstrosities.

The lights are fairly narrow beam enclosures with some kind of neon tube (gives the vertical bar catch lights).

The light housing on the right side of the camera illuminates the model's right side. The light housing on the left of the camera illuminates the model's left side, so they cross.

This gives the shadows in the cheeks and behind the model's head, but it illuminates the wall outside the model's shadow.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin