Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,062   Online: 935

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, you read my mind. When I woke up this morning the first thing I thought of was that I needed to ask about the reciprocity failure of paper. My second concern after waking up this morning was why the hell my first waking thought was about reciprocity failure! I'm losing it!
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The other question of the morning:

I'll be testing Ilford Ilfospeed RC Delux graded papers for the negatives. Using multigrade paper would vary too much in different lighting conditions and with different colors of light so to make the process as consistent as possible I'll be testing graded papers. Can anyone speak to a grade (1, 2, or 3) which offers the best overall performance and provides a contrast most effective for printing? I'll be printing on Ilford MG Fiber Warmtone Glossy by the way.
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Large Format
    francesco

the graded paper i have shot for portraits has been agfa grade 1.
    instead of taking 20 seconds ( the tungsten modeling lights through soft boxes on 300ws monoblocks )
    that ilford mg fb takes, it took 3 pops of the 300ws lights ( so 1800ws), in addition to a 45 second exposure ...
    i haven't used any other graded paper ( i have seagull #1 i will eventually try )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    francesco

the graded paper i have shot for portraits has been agfa grade 1.
    instead of taking 20 seconds ( the tungsten modeling lights through soft boxes on 300ws monoblocks )
    that ilford mg fb takes, it took 3 pops of the 300ws lights ( so 1800ws), in addition to a 45 second exposure ...
    i haven't used any other graded paper ( i have seagull #1 i will eventually try )
    In asking about an ideal grade, I mean is there overall a best grade that generally produces the best (most accurate) contrast for printing. Performing as an in-camera neg, I'm assuming that one grade will out preform another in recording blacks and transitional tones through paper white for the purpose of printing a positive image. Also, I wont be using any studio lighting or flash. 100% natural light. I do use modeling lights in studio when doing portraits or other studio type situations but still no flash.
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh and specific to Ilford. If it aint broke, dont fix it haha. I plan to stick with the paper I know well.
    Francesco Fragomeni

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin