Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,733   Online: 932

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

"Silver Platinum" prints

I was up at the Stieglitz, Steichen and Strand show in New York this past weekend. I saw a number of prints on the wall, most specifically by Stieglitz, labeled "Silver-Platinum Print". I've never heard of this before- anyone have any idea what it could be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's similar to Gold toning, you can use Platinum or Palladium, it was once common for early printing processes. I've a few formulae in early British Journal (Photographic) Almanacs and other books from the late 19th C.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Satista. It' s a developing out technic where you use very little salt (palladium or platinum) and your developer is some Ag Nitrate mixed with glycerin.
    Some prints on my website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    POP,Salt prints, Kalitypes, Albumen prints etc were all treated with Platinum or Palladium as well, They are also SilverPlatinum or Silver Palladium prints.

It was a very common technique.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, that makes sense then, but the terminology is still a bit misleading - it would make more sense (if the real answer was known) to say "Platinum-toned POP silver gelatin" or whatever. My guess from looking at the prints on display then would be that they were platinum-toned Kallitypes as I really couldn't tell the difference between them and the straight platinum prints on display.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Platinum toned Kallitype will have very similar tonality & archival properties to a Platinum print, I thing Loris Medici goes down this route for some of his images.

Economically it's far cheaper to go down this route as far less Platinum salts are used.

I did a quick check of an 1890's BJP Almanac and there were a lot of Platinum toners listed, some by paper manufacturers, also a few companies were offering platinum prints by enlargement, which I'd guess would actually be fully toned bromide prints.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I would agree with Philippe (a very competent Satista printer) that "Silver Platinum" sounds more like another term for "Satista" process, to my ears. (EDIT: In the context of Steiglitz prints that is...) See this article (by Marek Matusz) for further info.

Regards,
    Loris.
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 01-22-2011 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin