Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,568   Online: 929

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

show off your artificial light source...

I've been wanting to build a UV box with tubes, but I got this 400w metal halide light for free. Already blew too much $ on hoarding film anyways. Used, these lights often go unsold because of the shipping expense and it's not something most people mess with. Made some van dyke prints with it the past couple of nights. As shown, 15 minutes is solarized, 10 minutes looks pretty good, 5 minutes is sorta light. Height is adjustable via the strap or empty paint can. I might still build a UV box someday, but I'm pleased with this for now.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When I started with carbon transfer printing I used this set up. My exposure times were an hour! Still, it got me going.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got to track down something like this for my Cyanotypes; hoping for sunshine on the weekends in Toronto during the winter is chancy at best :-)
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canadian Tire to the rescue

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeadows View Post
    I've got to track down something like this for my Cyanotypes; hoping for sunshine on the weekends in Toronto during the winter is chancy at best :-)
    I bought up a supply of 9 compact flourescent spiral tube BLB lamps with accumulated Canadain Tire money, and then spent cash on 9 screwshell lamp holders. Sundry left over plywood amd white paint built the housing.

I can expose up to 14" square, wihich is the limit of my present coating ability.

I use Mike Ware's 'faster' cyanotype coating formulae, and my printing times are 30-60 minutes, which leaves lots of times for typical after work activities for me; things like laundry, dishwasher empty, make luinches, check homework, get kids to bed, etc.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    John- I'm less than 4.5 deg S of Toronto and have been sun printing cyanos all winter. I've been exposing around noon for 15-20min on bright sunlit days and 20-25min on dim dreary days. My prints tend to look superior on the dim and dreary days. I've also tried artificial UV sources, but nothing beats a certain quality I get from diffuse natural light on days with full cloud cover.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the reply Matthew. I have been using up my supply of pretreated Cyanotype paper, and I have found exposure times quite variable. This past Sunday (midday), printing transparency type negatives I found 6 minutes with this paper was almost too much exposure. A month ago under what seemed a bright overcast using paper negatives (treated with baby oil to increase translucency) it would take 70 or 80 minutes to get a good exposure. The frustrating thing is not being able to print during the week.

I am switching to coating my own paper with new formula, so I will likely have to dial in new exposure times this weekend, weather permitting. But that's part of the fun :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike -- I'll look into that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is my little home made UV box. Has 8- T8 BL bulbs, adjustable height and can make up to 11 x 14. I mounted a gralab timer on the front and it sits on a shelf in my office. My home made contact frame is resting peacefully in the exposure zone.

Built the box out of some scrap 1/2" maple veneer plywood and 1/2" cherry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UV-Unit (1 of 1).jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This was its first light.

I made this under my workbench. It is a shelf attached to full extension drawer slides under five 30 watt Sylvania 350 Blacklights. They are run through an old school Graylab timer with a klaxon alarm. That thing will scare the hell out of you.

My current contact frame is not what is in the picture, that's just what I cobbled together for the maiden run. Presently I'm using two 24" x 24" sheets of 1/4 inch glass, held together with 8 large spring clamps.

This is a 7 min. VanDyke on Bergger paper made in the unit.
    Cyanotypes average around 20 mins and Platinum/Palladium prints are in the 45 min range.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've got something a bit different. I'm using multiple rows of UV LEDs in a 20"x15"x1.5" box I made. It runs on 12 volts DC via a wall adapter, so I didn't have to handle 120 volt AC household wiring. It's also lightweight--the side walls and back are white foam board lined with aluminum tape to (hopefully) reflect any stray light back to the print. The whole thing collapses down to fit in a drawer for storage when not in use. The nicest part is the LEDs don't get hot at all; after hours of use they're only warm to the touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UV-Box.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin