Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,334   Online: 839

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Kodachrome Inkjet Ink , MIT Chemistry Lessons and Funnel Extraction

PE ,

You had been posted Kodachrome Coupler and per related developers at below listed thread :

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/6...rome-film.html

I had been asked to you to make a inkjet printer ink from the mixture of developer and coupler per color.

You said , If I mix these two chemicals and extract the dye with funnel extraction process , I can make a % 50 amount of extracted dry dye out of these chemicals !

Than you said , you advise to make the cyan dye first because its a narrow band color and main responsible from the kodachrome colors.

Now I looked to MIT Open Course Ware program on chemical lab techniques and found a video for funnel extraction and 4 different videos for other techniques.

Here is the funnel extraction video from you tube and MIT .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWpS...499F5778AAB619

Full other techniques videos list :
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...499F5778AAB619

First question :

Who sells original kodachrome cyan coupler and the developer ? Are they comes as dry powder ?

How we will mix it ? What needed to make liquid with the powders and mix it ?

Temperatures , mixture ratios , atmosphere , heat , pressure , tools , lab ware , risks , cancer , allergy , toxic risks and prevent from these ?

How we will funnel extract the dye out of the mixture ? What would be the procedure ?

And how much dye makes how much inkjet ink ? Is this dye ink dangerous for health especially pressure mixing with the air ?

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Umut;

IDK who sells the couplers now. Someone posted a reference to a company that did have couplers (Aldrich?) but IDK. Kodak made their own AFAIK. I can only give you generalities. The reaction proceeds at room temperature, and takes place in water plus alkali. This is shown in the Kodachrome patent.

The sep funnel extraction would work using a solvent that the dye dissolves in. So, if the dye dissolves in benzene or petroleum ether, then use it and when you do the separation the dye will be in the solvent and the layer will turn the color of the dye. You filter that, dry it, remove the solvent and you have pure dye. As for inkjet concentrations, I have no idea.

You see, you are getting into advanced graduate chemistry here and this just cannot be taught in a few paragraphs. It is a full workshop in its own that also requires some R&D on the digital end.

I cannot do this without extensive video myself and also would have to have exemplary chemicals here to demonstrate things with. I'm very sorry, but you are largely on your own. Of course, this is why it has not been done in common practice before, at least AFAIK.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ron ,

Your every little bit of writing is solving many questions.

Let me ask few more questions :

We mix water , alkali , cyan coupler , cyan developer and make a colored water.

First question : How much cyan coupler needs how much developer in the water mixture ?

Second question : How much water we must prepare ?

Third one : I dont think I can handle ether but benzene is little bit more close. Do we need to add benzene to the water , coupler , developer mix ? How much benzene we need to use per colored water mixture ? Than what happens ?

Let me ask more later after I understood these steps .

And May you prepare a video if I send you the developer and the coupler , plus benzene expense and the funnel expense ? I am not wanting for myself but as a reference to our dear APUGers .

Thank you ,

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 01-23-2011 at 01:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Umut;

The ratios are in the patent. I don't remember them offhand. You prepare as much as you need. If you need 5 grams of dye, then you need about 10 grams total of the 2 starting materials. Just off the top of my head.... It would need experimentation.

Remember that this is a research project that you cannot just do with one experiment. It could take dozens of trials and months of work. I am not equipped to handle volatile solvents. I have no proper ventilation for it and would have to conduct it out of doors. Right now, it is well below freezing and is snowing. You get the idea.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PE ,

Yes , I understood the situation. Every year , winters passes warmer here , I dont know why.
    15 years ago or older times , there were such storms but for last 10 years , there are few rains and few days snow. East Turkey is very high and its very cold but Istanbul is wonderful.
    When you feel better , please share more with me.

Thank you ,
    Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PE ,

I think inkjet ink project is costing more than platin and I want to switch to RGB tri chrome positives and color m y with computer and c with chemistry. How can we do that ?

http://www.coleparmer.com/1/1/38773-...amide-10g.html

Above is the source of Kodachrome Cyan Coupler. 10 grams cost 130 dollars. I think it is extremelly costly even more than the platin process to print cyan inkjet channel with this coupler . Process is mixing coupler developer mixture and extract maximum 5 grams of dry cyan pigment for the preparation of inkjet printer cyan channel.

You can dye tricolor films per color also.

As Photo engineer generously reports ,

Kodak coupler C-16, (N-[o-acetamido phenethyl]-1-hydroxy-2-napthamide)
    Kodak coupler M-32, (1-phenyl-3-[3,4-dichlorobenamido]-5-pyrazolone)
    Kodak coupler Y-54, (Alpha-benzoyl-o-methoxy acetanilide

Cyan and Magenta use CD3, Yellow uses CD6. MSDS sheets mistakenly give CD4 as the developer.

Ron advised me to use only cyan at the start due to narrow band color and responsibility of larger amount of colors of Kodachrome.

Well may be the solution is to take RGB trichrome seperated films with RGB filters and dye the cyan layer with this pigment when the two others processed by photoshop.

I dont know how to successfully scan this cyan positive but Dwayne scans the kodachromes and send everyone. So the process is viable.

I think everything mixed up.

Best ,

Umut

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin