Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,110   Online: 1085

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Alternatives for cyanotype solution purchase

Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier of Cyanotype solutions in Canada?

A month after I ordered it from DigitalTruth, my order of solution arrived tonight. The solution was mostly frozen, and what little solution that wasn't frozen was leaking out of the bottle.

Even worse, although the specified shipping method was USPS, they ended up using UPS, which cost me an extra $41 in customs broker fees (I am located in Toronto).

I certainly don't want to order from these guys again.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, suggest you just buy the chemicals in powdered form. Very easy to mix. I get them from Freestyle, but they should be available in Canada also.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Jon! I think I have learned my lesson about being lazy :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi John. I second the suggestion to mix up from dry chemicals, either from Bostick & Sullivan or the Photographers' Formulary. Digitaltruth just resells from both of these suppliers. And in my recent order, Dave from B&S emailed me back to suggest a cheaper shipping option, which was much appreciated.

In general, sourcing basic chemistry is a bit of a hassle up here. And some things cannot be brought across the border (i.e. AgNO3, dichromates, pyro) except in the smallest 'intro' packets, even if readily available at Freestyle, B&S, or PF.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks David - I also got some New Formula Cyanotype from FreeStyle, so once I get that mixed I should have enough to last me a little while at least. I will check out all the alternatives you mention.

In the meantime, I'll be curious to know if the solution from the "cyancicle" will still work once thawed :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is too bad. Winter sucks, eh? But cyanotype emulsion is about the easiest alternative process to mix oneself. There is nothing to be afraid of. It takes about ten minutes, if that. You can even eyeball it if you are too lazy to use a scale. I would suggest going this route. It will also save you a decent percentage of your money that you spent on the pre-mixed solutions.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks 2F/2F; I have learned my lesson!

And maybe I'll get an interesting result from frozen solution; the altprocess equivalent of ice wine, perhaps! :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BeWare: The Ware new cyanotype dry powder kit from Formulary is a little more complicated to make up than the old formula. I needed a lab pyrex beaker, glass funnel and filter papers. There's a chemical reaction that is not just dissolve and mix and gunk to filter out. But it's worth it, fast exposures and much better contrast.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An update; to be fair to DigitalTruth, they acknowledged the shipping error and refunded the shipping very quickly :-) They feel the solution should still work, but to let them know if it doesn't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin