Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,332   Online: 700

Shooter
    Multi Format

Damn! Just bought a 3 beam balance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are mistaken. We are simply entering a period of weak gravity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't slag the humble triple beam.
    That and a simple pan balance good to 50g will do almost all the DIY chem mixing you are likely to need, if you don't mix more than 4L of something at a time

They are affordable, and durable.
    I tare mine when I use a Dixie cup on the pan with a small length of wire that hangs from the end of the beam.
    I have a plastic container filled with the right number of screws that hangs there when I want to measure over 610g, up to 1110g.

I appreciate the concern in the BBC story, but for my purposes if I am consistent to 1% between subsequent batches I think I am doing just fine.
    The thing came from an antique shop in Brooklyn over the *bay when it was a person to person affair about 7 long years ago. Oh, I do miss those days.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That kilo of platinum would be getting smaller and smaller if I had the lock and key.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, if their just going to chuck it . . . .
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Don't slag the humble triple beam.
    Just joking, I find it of enormous value ever since I was bequeathed a heap of dry chemistry. Before that I was using an electronic scale which lasted a few months. Perhaps it's not a good idea to buy lab equipment from transient merchants in the forecourts of shopping malls. It seems that the triple beam will be indestructable and not fail me at a critical time. It just took a long time to find one.

On another note: I do wonder how the French feel about one of their national treasures, the platinum standard kilo specimen being called into doubt?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a triple beam as well, actually it's a quad beam and I'm sure if you look at yours closely you'll see a fourth beam for the sliding weight at the rear.

Had mine for about 25 years, it's not slower than electronic scales. For my work I required some very accurate electronic scales, which I purchased about 15 years ago. Beauty, I thought, never need to fiddle with the triple beam scales again.

I used the electronic scales about four, maybe five times, then gave up on them. Once or twice I looked up a note on a possible adjustment of a chemical amount, by the time I found the note and worked out what I was going to do, the scales had switched off.

Then there is the not quite flat battery syndrome, talk about frustration!

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only thing that will change are the operating instructions for German and Swiss chemical products.

"In order to obtain 1 litre of solution, just mix 125,0000000000000001 grams of powder A, mix until complete dissolution, than add 250,0000000000000001 grams of power B. Then add water until 1 litre".

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin