Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,955   Online: 933

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cost of platinum printing??

I have never contact printed, buy have been very impressed by many of Kerik unpronouncables platinum prints. What sort of costs are involded in the printing side (Once of course you have bought a brand new 12x20 etc). I am keen to have a go, so long as I dont have to flog the car to pay for it.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    I have never contact printed, buy have been very impressed by many of Kerik unpronouncables platinum prints. What sort of costs are involded in the printing side (Once of course you have bought a brand new 12x20 etc). I am keen to have a go, so long as I dont have to flog the car to pay for it.

Tom
    An 8x10 palladium print will cost you roughly $4 - $5 for each print in materials. You can do the math for a 12x20 print.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you have to ask, you can't afford

That's just the print materials. Check out www.unblinkingeye.com. I wrote an article about how much you need to invest to get started in alternative processes. Title is "Alternative Process Quick Start."
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    If you have to ask, you can't afford

That's just the print materials. Check out www.unblinkingeye.com. I wrote an article about how much you need to invest to get started in alternative processes. Title is "Alternative Process Quick Start."
    Consider also starting first with kallitype and tone your prints with platinum or palladium. A Pt./Pd. toned kallitype can look identical to a true Pt./Pd. in tonal qualities, color and Dmax and offers virtually the same level of permanence. However, since it takes only about 1/5 or less of the Pt./Pd. metal to tone a kallitype as it takes to make a true Pt./Pd. the cost difference is quite large. And since many of the working procedures are identical for both processes if you learn kallitype first you will find the transistion to Pt./Pd. quite easy.

I have the contrast controls for the two processes adjusted so that I can use kallitype to proof for Pt./Pd. so that all I have to do is make the best kallitype possible, then change the exposure to reflect the fact tht Pt./Pd. is slighly less sensitive. This procedure is especially useful when making large prints.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth

Tom
    Dear Tom pronouncable,

Thanks for your kind words. If you use mostly palladium and very little or no platinum and buy your metal salts in relatively large quantities from a supplier like Englehard, pt/pd can be VERY inexpensive. I can make a 12x20 palladium print for roughly $5.

~ 3 ml palladium $1.75
    ~ 3 ml ferric oxalate $0.50
    1 sheet Fabriano Artistico $2.00

And even if I use a paper that requires double-coating for best results, it's still very affordable. It's also a lot of fun once you get dialed in.

Good luck,
    Kerik Kouklis (kook'-lis)
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mr. Kerik,
    Does Englehard sell small quantities to individuals? I hope this is on topic enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheers everyone for your help! It is much less expensive than I thought, which is always good!

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Mr. Kerik,
    Does Englehard sell small quantities to individuals? I hope this is on topic enough.
    Mr. Mateo,

I don't remember what their minimum order is, maybe $500. The best price per gram is around the $1,000 level. The thing to do is put together a group buy with other platinum printers. Last year I put together a buy for a group that amounted to $4,500 of palladium. I ended up with enough palladium to last me a few years for about 1/3 the Bostick & Sullivan price at the time. If you're just looking to buy 25 or 100 ml, you may as well get it from B&S.

Kerik

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Mr. Mateo,

I don't remember what their minimum order is, maybe $500. The best price per gram is around the $1,000 level. The thing to do is put together a group buy with other platinum printers. Last year I put together a buy for a group that amounted to $4,500 of palladium. I ended up with enough palladium to last me a few years for about 1/3 the Bostick & Sullivan price at the time. If you're just looking to buy 25 or 100 ml, you may as well get it from B&S.

Kerik
    I believe the minimum order is either 50 or 100 grams. But that represents a minimum of about $500 to $1000, depending on current cost of the metal (which varies on a day to day basis and is not locked down until your order is processed). There are several price breaks as you increase the amount of the order, to the point where the metal will eventually get down to somewhere between 6-7 dollars per gram, or even less for really big orders. However, bear in mind when you talk to the folks at Engelhard that even an order for $5000 amounts to little more than chicken feed for them so they don't have a lot of incentive to process small orders.

Having joined in Kerik's order of last year, and put together another one of my own later in the year, there are indeed significant savings in cost to be realized for those willing to place a large enough order to take maximum advantage of the price breaks. And for best prices you should try to place your order to take advantage of historical lows in the price of the metal itself. However, for someone just getting started in Pt./Pd. printing I agree with Kerik that you are probably better off starting out with the 25-100 ml bottles from a supplier like B&S.

Sandy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Tom, remember that the prices quoted are for guys that have the process nailed. With everything new, there is a learning curve....remember how much paper you got through when you were learning to print silver? You'll get through a lot of pt/pd before you're happy.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin