Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,530   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Jim, the 'sliding image' fiasco happened years ago IIRC, the Yupo I used for the final support was dusty or oily.
    I'm happy to say, it only happened the once!
    Last edited by Hexavalent; 02-15-2011 at 12:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo!
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback, definitely the sliding and the frilling is my next thing to learn, in none of the prints so far I used the safe edge, I am worried about putting tape into the negative. Here is the third try at carbon, the second one was really dark and didn't stick well to the YUPO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-110202-0002-b.jpg  
    "Art is a lie that enables us to tell the truth" -Picasso
    http://www.jaimebermudez.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There are several ways to make safe edges without actually putting tape on the negative. The tissue should be about a half inch bigger than the negative all the way round -- and then the tape can go on the mylar between the neg and the tissue, on the glass of the vacuum frame, or cut a hole out of a larger piece of rubylith, etc.

Congrats on getting images!

I lost a few of my first images by trying to transfer to the back side of photopaper instead of the emulsion side.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Vaughn, I didn't think about that way of doing it, I will try tonight. I will try putting it between the mylar and the tissue since my NUARC vacum doesn't work at all. I've been reading about carbon for the past 6 months and finally put all the dots together and I am happy to see images coming my way. Thanks for teaching this technique via online APUG comments and other online resources.

Jaime.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jaime, please feel free to contact me on-line or directly at any time with any questions about the process. I also have a pdf of my carbon printing instructions that I use for workshops, if you do not have a copy (free). I can't remember who I have sent them to.

email: Vaughn.Hutchins "at" humboldt.edu
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jaime, it's exciting to see your prints. Remember when Mark asked me to explain why a safe edge was meeded? Espanola seems like years ago now. I've tried several ways to do it. One way is Ruby lith tape, another is electrical tape, I've even used magnetic strips placed on the glass.

When you start making digital negatives you can add the safe edge in. If you follow Vaughn's procedures you can't miss. I'll pm you and try to call later in the week. I received the package and will be sending it to a place Mark recommended for a checkup.

What size negative was the last print made from?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Curt, glad to know you got the 7II. I already did 3 4x5 prints, the last one is nice but definitely need to start using a safe edge. It made a huge difference after I tried one print, then the process became a bit more accessible to do. I stayed late 3 or 4 nights and made a total of 8 prints, that way I can remember the steps, :-). I am almost finish developing all my 4x5 from Barcelona so I can convert them into carbon. Thanks for your advice on carbon.

Jaime.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jaime ... fabulous first prints. One of the hardest things to do in carbon is lots of sky ... yours came out great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim, I am addicted to carbon, I have a portrait ready to be my next carbon experiment.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jaime, are you making your own tissue? If you are not I suggest that you give it a go. This is where the art of carbon transfer comes into its own. You control you image tone, no one else. There will be a lot of ups and downs with this process but the best way to master the process is to print, print and print. Also KEEP GOOD NOTES!! Vaughn was very insistent about this when he taught me. Follow the guide that Vaughn has. But it is all about printing over and over. Good luck and if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin