Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,596   Online: 939

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personal vision is the point.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm looking forward to seeing it and think it's a shot in the arm for all non-digital photographic processes. It looks like dags/wet plate are the main focus and that's reasonable--since the processes (and tools) are visually interesting. Chuck Close's well-known comment strikes me as insightful and isn't meant as a boast. He's referring to *all* photography and the difficulty of creating a personal style. I think style develops more organically with a medium like painting. The nature of the medium makes it more likely that the personal techniques and style of the artist will be visible (and recognizable) on the canvas.

The mechanical nature of photography makes it harder to have a recognizable personal vision. I think you can argue whether personal vision is as important to the nature of photography, but it certainly helps with achieving success. Sometimes, it drives photographers and artists) to do gimmicky or outrageous things for attention, to set themselves apart. A good case in point is the Ansel Adams/Uncle Earl confusion. Most people would probably agree that Ansel Adams had a unique personal vision, but medium of photography tempers that to a point where some people aren't able to differentiate his work from an unknown photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    All this talk about finding "a distinctive personal vision" is pure artspeak BS. Who cares if I or anyone else produce "well executed, poorly conceived photographs". I doubt that any of the great image makers gave any thought as to whether or not they were finding their own ""distinctive personal vision". Isn't the point to have fun?! Otherwise we are just trying to make images to please other people, and everyone should know by now that Hell IS other people (not you guys, of course).

Seems to me finding your distinctive voice involves pleasing only yourself, not others, no matter how you work.The mechanical nature of photography can be a barrier for many to find their own voice with this medium. In many ways you have to get your technique down, make it second nature, whether it's sloppy or neat, (doesn't really matter, IMHO) so you can just make the pictures you want. Then your voice might appear, and your pictures may well please others. Nice bonus that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "Distinctive voice" or "distinctive personal vision", whatever you choose, it's all the same Kool-Ade. Do I have to point out that every one of us is already unique and distinct and so are our voices and visions. What you are doing is searching for something which you already have. This all reminds me of the Zen parable wherein the fish becomes confused because he doesn't know how he keeps from sinking into the depths of the ocean. Seeing his tail, he swims to catch it in his mouth in order to hold himself up, but since his spine is not quite supple enough all he manages to do is to constantly swim around in circles. It would be best if the fish put his tail behind him (where it belongs) and swim off to explore the vast ocean . So forget about trying to find your "distinctive personal vision" and just have some fun and go make some pictures (and isn't "pleasing only yourself" the same as having fun?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So forget about trying to find your "distinctive personal vision" and just have some fun and go make some pictures (and isn't "pleasing only yourself" the same as having fun?).
    I completely disagree. Investigating a personal visual approach is a vital part of photography. One doesn't just pick up a camera with instincts fully formed, the process requires effort.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin