Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,007   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Upcoming alt process documentary trailer

http://artistsandalchemists.com/

Very short trailer, but enjoyable nonetheless...looking forward to the feature.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Very interesting, of course I can't help but wonder why certain artists weren't mentioned, especially Dick Arentz since he literally wrote the book on platinum printing. Nevertheless, as a platinum printer myself, I anxiously await the film's release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all alt process is strictly 19th century, e.g. digital negatives or more recent alternative processes even.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks very good, Thanks for sharing the link.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope that someone will make a post when the documentary is actually available.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the Chuck Close comment, "photography is the hardest medium in which to have a distinctive personal vision"... of course, just because one is using a process from the 19th century, doesn't necessarily translate into a unique personal vision... I think it's just as hard (if not harder!!) to find that voice using those processes. At any rate, I'm really looking forward to seeing this, it looks great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    of course, just because one is using a process from the 19th century, doesn't necessarily translate into a unique personal vision...
    Suzanne,

I agree completely. There is sometimes a danger in valuing the act of carrying out the process without due regard for the artistic merit of the print. e.g. a "poor quality" wet plate isn't inherently more "creative" than a completely clean 16x20" silver print from a T-grain 4x5" negative.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard Benson once said, the world is full of well-executed poorly conceived photographs...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All this talk about finding "a distinctive personal vision" is pure artspeak BS. Who cares if I or anyone else produce "well executed, poorly conceived photographs". I doubt that any of the great image makers gave any thought as to whether or not they were finding their own ""distinctive personal vision". Isn't the point to have fun?! Otherwise we are just trying to make images to please other people, and everyone should know by now that Hell IS other people (not you guys, of course).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I saw this on my FB account. Does anyone know if it's a PBS program, an A&E, Encore or some other program? Or is it a direct to disc thing? I would be very interested in seeing it or buying a copy for the students I work with.
    As regards to the processes, I agree that without vision, no amount of technique can carry the work forward.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin