Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,378   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

are these alt process images, or an elaborate hoax ?

not sure if any alt. process folks have checked out starbucks these days ... their recent in-house coffee photos have a large format & alt process look to them. they are heavily selective focused images that appear to be on glass plates. i called the "world headquarters" and asked for any information on what they were, or who made them, but they refused to tell me anything whatsoever.

has anyone else seen them? do you think they are they actually images on glass, or are they a composite of an image of a glass plate and an image using modern film &C photoshopped ( collaged ).

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    interesting that they won't give you any information, or they don't have a clue .

I do know that it is possible to use a fusion giclee application on glass; perhaps this is what is going on here. I will double check with some of my folks who hang out at these places (i am not a coffee drinker) and see what their take is on these.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    interesting that they won't give you any information, or they don't have a clue .
    hehe. When I first started working at Yahoo! I answered the main phone # at headquarters. You would be surprized how many people would call each day and ask random questions like that. Our answer was basically the same as Starbucks'. The person you spoke to probably didn't have a clue about how or who did it, and if you got to the proper department, the probably didn't want to tell you for fear that you were a copeting business, or a photographer looking for work.

If you are really interested, call and ask for their public relations department. They might have an answer for you.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    hehe. When I first started working at Yahoo! I answered the main phone # at headquarters. You would be surprized how many people would call each day and ask random questions like that. Our answer was basically the same as Starbucks'. The person you spoke to probably didn't have a clue about how or who did it, and if you got to the proper department, the probably didn't want to tell you for fear that you were a copeting business, or a photographer looking for work.

If you are really interested, call and ask for their public relations department. They might have an answer for you.
    If they are the same as the pictures around here, they look like lithos of some gum print originals. The pictures sure are not real gum, but they sure look like it from 7 feet away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Theres several ways to accomplish this. One is a silkscreened halftone on glass. Another is a lithographic print on vinyl or some similar sheet plastic like static cling. Lately wide format digital printers are available as well as transparent medium for them to print on. We have that at work. A 39 inch by however long transparency looks pretty impressive.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it was kind of weird -
    they told me it was "secret" like the color of paint on their walls. then i was told the images were made through "their creative group". i asked if they were a department in their company, or a vendor that did the work for them - dead silence. i asked for the public relations department, a supervisor or anyone else ( read: that might have more of a clue) and they refused to do anything but tell me "not to call back".

clay - can you do gum prints on glass? if you look close at the corners of the images it looks like emulsion coming off of glass ...

thanks for your insights too - gary, brian and ann.

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John-

I'm thinking that, for cost reasons, these must be digital. What's coming off of the corners of the glass is most likely the transparent stock that the image was sprayed onto.

Unfortunately (well, OK, not unfortunately), I never venture into a Starbucks. But there's one near work and I might stumble in there to see if they have something similar and take a close look at it.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    don't know if you can do gum on glass, but i suppose if the plate is subbed properly, you could do it. People do silver, platinum and carbon on glass quite often.
    I would bet they are printing the stuff digitally on some material like you can use to make the iron-on T-shirt things from your inkjet, then just sticking them on glass in a deliberately sloppy artsy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    John-

I'm thinking that, for cost reasons, these must be digital. What's coming off of the corners of the glass is most likely the transparent stock that the image was sprayed onto.

Unfortunately (well, OK, not unfortunately), I never venture into a Starbucks. But there's one near work and I might stumble in there to see if they have something similar and take a close look at it.

Be well.
    Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check out www.duggal.com. They can "output" to all sorts of stuff. I don't know if they still do output to carpeting, which was one of the stranger media they've offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Check out www.duggal.com. They can "output" to all sorts of stuff. I don't know if they still do output to carpeting, which was one of the stranger media they've offered.
    Heh, the local carpet mills have been spraying patterns on carpets for years! Not a new thing. The new part would be loading the machine with the right color dyes to output a decent looking color image.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin