Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,378   Online: 968
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,549
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8

    are these alt process images, or an elaborate hoax ?

    not sure if any alt. process folks have checked out starbucks these days ... their recent in-house coffee photos have a large format & alt process look to them. they are heavily selective focused images that appear to be on glass plates. i called the "world headquarters" and asked for any information on what they were, or who made them, but they refused to tell me anything whatsoever.

    has anyone else seen them? do you think they are they actually images on glass, or are they a composite of an image of a glass plate and an image using modern film &C photoshopped ( collaged ).

  2. #2
    ann
    ann is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,883
    Images
    26
    interesting that they won't give you any information, or they don't have a clue .

    I do know that it is possible to use a fusion giclee application on glass; perhaps this is what is going on here. I will double check with some of my folks who hang out at these places (i am not a coffee drinker) and see what their take is on these.

  3. #3
    bmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,156
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    interesting that they won't give you any information, or they don't have a clue .
    hehe. When I first started working at Yahoo! I answered the main phone # at headquarters. You would be surprized how many people would call each day and ask random questions like that. Our answer was basically the same as Starbucks'. The person you spoke to probably didn't have a clue about how or who did it, and if you got to the proper department, the probably didn't want to tell you for fear that you were a copeting business, or a photographer looking for work.

    If you are really interested, call and ask for their public relations department. They might have an answer for you.
    hi!

  4. #4
    clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,120
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    hehe. When I first started working at Yahoo! I answered the main phone # at headquarters. You would be surprized how many people would call each day and ask random questions like that. Our answer was basically the same as Starbucks'. The person you spoke to probably didn't have a clue about how or who did it, and if you got to the proper department, the probably didn't want to tell you for fear that you were a copeting business, or a photographer looking for work.

    If you are really interested, call and ask for their public relations department. They might have an answer for you.
    If they are the same as the pictures around here, they look like lithos of some gum print originals. The pictures sure are not real gum, but they sure look like it from 7 feet away.

  5. #5
    glbeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Roswell, Ga. USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,307
    Images
    109
    Theres several ways to accomplish this. One is a silkscreened halftone on glass. Another is a lithographic print on vinyl or some similar sheet plastic like static cling. Lately wide format digital printers are available as well as transparent medium for them to print on. We have that at work. A 39 inch by however long transparency looks pretty impressive.
    Gary Beasley

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,549
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    8
    it was kind of weird -
    they told me it was "secret" like the color of paint on their walls. then i was told the images were made through "their creative group". i asked if they were a department in their company, or a vendor that did the work for them - dead silence. i asked for the public relations department, a supervisor or anyone else ( read: that might have more of a clue) and they refused to do anything but tell me "not to call back".

    clay - can you do gum prints on glass? if you look close at the corners of the images it looks like emulsion coming off of glass ...

    thanks for your insights too - gary, brian and ann.

    -john

  7. #7
    Mongo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    960
    John-

    I'm thinking that, for cost reasons, these must be digital. What's coming off of the corners of the glass is most likely the transparent stock that the image was sprayed onto.

    Unfortunately (well, OK, not unfortunately), I never venture into a Starbucks. But there's one near work and I might stumble in there to see if they have something similar and take a close look at it.

    Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

  8. #8
    clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,120
    Images
    8
    don't know if you can do gum on glass, but i suppose if the plate is subbed properly, you could do it. People do silver, platinum and carbon on glass quite often.
    I would bet they are printing the stuff digitally on some material like you can use to make the iron-on T-shirt things from your inkjet, then just sticking them on glass in a deliberately sloppy artsy way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    John-

    I'm thinking that, for cost reasons, these must be digital. What's coming off of the corners of the glass is most likely the transparent stock that the image was sprayed onto.

    Unfortunately (well, OK, not unfortunately), I never venture into a Starbucks. But there's one near work and I might stumble in there to see if they have something similar and take a close look at it.

    Be well.
    Dave

  9. #9
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,359
    Images
    20
    Check out www.duggal.com. They can "output" to all sorts of stuff. I don't know if they still do output to carpeting, which was one of the stranger media they've offered.

  10. #10
    glbeas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Roswell, Ga. USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,307
    Images
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Check out www.duggal.com. They can "output" to all sorts of stuff. I don't know if they still do output to carpeting, which was one of the stranger media they've offered.
    Heh, the local carpet mills have been spraying patterns on carpets for years! Not a new thing. The new part would be loading the machine with the right color dyes to output a decent looking color image.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin