Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 860

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    paul_c5x4, i speack about nylons with holmburgers 1 or 2 pages before...then i will see for this or coffee filter.

Shaz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Toluene is quite toxic to inhale or get on your skin. It can cause liver or kidney damage. IDK if it is a carcinogen. I would have to look it up.

A wine filter is a paper filter, for our purposes it would be fluted. We call it "fluted filter paper". It is used in wine making and chemical operations that require or can use gravity filtration as opposed to vacuum filtration. Vacuum filtration will harm wines due to the volatility of the aromatic essences present.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi, I'm new on APUG and just read through this amazing thread. Shaz, your attitude is amazing. I happen to know quite a bit about chemistry and have handled both toluene and ethyl acetate myself. The reason ethyl acetate is dangerous is that in its pure form it vaporizes at room temperature and it is an organic solvent (basically it's pretty bad for your brain to inhale and you will feel very dizzy after a short while, if you manage to drink some you should call an ambulance immediately). Toluene is pretty toxic as Photo Engineer says, but both are pretty easy to handle - just make sure you have proper ventilation (you might want to do the chemistry outdoors or near a open window) and use gloves, preferably nitrile gloves. They are much better for handling organic solvents than regular latex gloves.
    Last edited by nullbyte; 05-02-2011 at 12:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the work is done indoors by an open window, a breeze blowing into the room will cause problems if there is a stove pilot light, a hot light bulb or other source of ignition. This is best done outdoors.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok guys, i will prepare the first varnish outside with apropriate gloves, mask and glasses. And thank you PE for "fluted filter paper"...i will have a look on internet and translate this in french...I hope i will start soon now.
    Thank you nullbyte .

Shaz
    Last edited by shaz; 05-02-2011 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Again one thing...what aperture for the fluted filter paper do you think PE ?

Shaz

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Photo Engineer, the autoignition temperature is over 400 degrees celcius. It is safe enough to handle indoors, a hot lightbulb will not ignite it. As long as you don't do it in a kitchen you will be allright. I would prefer a more controlled environment like a living room over a garden to be honest, you never know what nature will do to your reaction.. Just make sure to close the lid on the container after using it. Using deodorants is not considered dangerous either even though they can shoot flames if you put a lighter to them

Shooter
    35mm
    You're right nullbyte. I will prepare the first varnish in my photo club...i have to read again and again what Louis Lumiere had wrote to forget nothing.

Shaz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nullbyte View Post
    Photo Engineer, the autoignition temperature is over 400 degrees celcius. It is safe enough to handle indoors, a hot lightbulb will not ignite it. As long as you don't do it in a kitchen you will be allright. I would prefer a more controlled environment like a living room over a garden to be honest, you never know what nature will do to your reaction.. Just make sure to close the lid on the container after using it. Using deodorants is not considered dangerous either even though they can shoot flames if you put a lighter to them
    Have you ever been in a flash fire from vapor ignition? Do you realize how hot a 100W light bulb can become? Try here for some data: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0160110AASUyQk

And, I am sure that someone out there has burned a finger on a lit bulb or the base.

BTW, the open cup flash point of Ethyl Acetate is about 7 deg C and the explosive minimum concentration in air is about 2%. Reference Merck Index.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz View Post
    Again one thing...what aperture for the fluted filter paper do you think PE ?

Shaz
    The filter paper is flat and is measured in diameter. You custom flute or fold it to meet your conditions such as funnel size or flow rate.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin