Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,943   Online: 1010

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My searches have found that this refers to the raw latex from the Rubber Tree. This liquid can be obtained unsmoked (as a liquid) or smoked (as a rubbery solid). The rubbery solid is (was) used to make automobile tires and dissolved in the proper solvents made up the original latex cements. The pure liquid latex was sold on the market years ago as a sort of glue as well.

Today, the entire science of Latices is a part of polymer science that involves making tailored latex compositions. The Autochromes probably used the original sap. It is akin to a sticky oil dispersed in water which dries down rather hard when all of the solvents evaporate. Since the particles don't like to coalesce in solution, you can make 3 color tinted latices and these can be combined without forming one large glob of material, but rather will remain separate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rubber

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    We can read that in the Wikipedia :

Rubber cement was invented by Paul Van Cleef in the early 1900s to be used in various applications in the Van Cleef Brothers factory in Chicago, Illinois

The date of 1900 correspond with the autochrome. Do you think that Louis Lumière was inspired by this ? Why not ! .

Shaz

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Shaz , Go to google translate and copy and paste the website link , select english to french.

Google is very successful to translate the western languages.

I hope this helps,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Avec plaisir! (? )
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello PE and Umut,

Thank you Umut for this idea. I will make like this now, because it's really hard for me. .

PE : Someone ( ) tell me that i have to use "Pale latex Crepe". I know that i have to find this latex. On monday i have to go and buy Latex ADS. I know now that it's not the good latex. The person that give me the adress for the latex ADS is looking for some Pale latex crepe. I have to wait now.
    But today i read the execice book of Louis Lumière and i saw that it's not impossible to make it myself, but if only i could found something allready made. I have to save my money. I read that you have to filter the latex with toluene with air pressure...you have to buy enamel bowl...and again and again...

Nice french Holmburgers.

It's not a story what i'm gone write now....
    Last week my 80 years old Neighbor saw me with the Lavedrine book. He tell me that he had Autochrome plate with a picture allready take. he must found them. It is a sign...no !

Shaz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shaz;

I believe that the words "non smoked" gives us the hint that Autochromes were made with original pure tree sap. The original latex from the reference I cited. Artificial latex manufacture really only started in the middle of the 20th century. Before that, it was all natural products.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Autochrome Latex, what's this the latest kinky stuff Sheen is into?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,

I found this :

Crepes
    Pale crepe rubber is among the highest quality crepes. Coagulation of this high-quality natural rubber is achieved with sodium hydrogen sulfite (NaHSO3). The clean coagulum is washed and milled. This produces sheets between 1.2 and 1.5 mm thick and 24 cm wide. The washing process removes from the coagulum considerable amounts of the serum constituents which can cause rotting. The sheets are dried in drying rooms for 2.5 to 4 days at 37°C or air-dried for 5 to 10 days on drying floors.

Excessive temperatures lead to discolored patches in the sheets as a result of oxidation. The sheets are packed as bales and marketed as "thin pale crepe".

The 10-mm crepe from Sri Lanka is marketed as "thick pale crepe".

Sheets
    Two different types of sheets are distinguished:
    ADS (air dried sheets)
    Air dried sheets are less common. They have an appearance similar to RSS (ribbed smoked sheets), but are more transparent, as they are manufactured in smoke-free rooms.

RSS (ribbed smoked sheets) (see Figure 1)
    The fresh latex is diluted to a rubber content of 15 - 16% and coagulated in coagulation tanks using formic acid or acetic acid. Lumps of coagulum are formed after the acid has acted for 3-4 hours. After milling and washing, sheets between 2.5 and 3.5 mm thick, 24 cm wide and 90 or 135 cm in length are produced. The final mill is an embossed mill, which gives the sheets their ribbed structure. Since these rubber sheets are not washed as intensively as crepes, they contain a higher proportion of serum constituents which encourage mold and rotting. For this reason, the sheets undergo an additional preservation process in which they are smoked in smokehouses. The sheets are hung in the smokehouses and dried for a week at temperatures up to 60°C. The smoke resulting from burning Hevea (rubber tree) wood and other organic materials such as coconut husks preserves the sheets. The specific smell of these sheets is caused by the materials used to produce the smoke. The sheets are pressed into bales and wrapped in protective sheets. The surface is protected from oxidation by application of a bale coating solution and talcum.

I am sure that i need the first one : the crepe.

I think that i'm gone try with this one first :

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/b...urnitures.html

Shaz

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Shaz,

There's a french guy in Paris who has recreated the autochrome system - I spoke with him, via email, a couple of years ago. I don't have his details with me now but I should be able to find them when I return home.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Jerry,

With great pleasure .
    Perhaps is it Frédéric Mocellin ?

http://www.autochromes.fr/mocellinperso/index.html

Thank you in adavance.

Shaz
    Last edited by shaz; 03-19-2011 at 05:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin