Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,741   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Autochrome Latex

Hello,

First i like to excuse me for my bad english. I am french and i think that i forget a little bit my english.
    I am trying to reproduce autochrome. I am searching for "crepe latex not-smoked". I am not sure that i use the good words in english.
    Perhaps one of you know where I can buy this latex ? It seem really hard to find this latex if you just want 10 kg by example.

thank you in advance for your answers and help.

Shaz
    Last edited by shaz; 02-23-2011 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    shaz:

Welcome to APUG!

You need not apologize for your English - it is much better than my French.

There are a fair number of francophones here on APUG, so you may want to post the name of what you are looking for in French as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi MattKing,

Thank you for your message. It's a good idea to put my message in french.
    Go:

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

Ayant décidé de tenter une reproduction des plaques autochromes, je me trouve face à un des nombreux problème que suscite l'Autochrome. Je suis à la recherche de latex crêpe non fumé. Le plus dur dans cette recherche est de trouver quelqu'un qui ne m'en vendrait que 10 kilo par exemple.

Merci par avance pour votre aide.

Shaz

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,

I found the good words in english : Pale Latex Crepe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Shaz

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello everybody,

Just a little up of my message .

This pale latex crepe is for the first "varnish". It's for glue the patatoe starch on the glass.

Thank you in advance.

Shaz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Shaz,

I think that you will have to be the original researcher for this kind of information. Many people love autochromes, but few are passionate enough to do the legwork.

The odds of finding the same thing that the Lumieres used is slim-to-none. You'll probably have to discover a new material that is available in modern times.

Your varnish will have to be very thin, and optically clear. Canada balsam comes to mind. Even a thin layer of gelatin might be suitable.

Good luck, and please share what you find.

Au revoir,

holmburgers
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello holmburgers,

Thank you for your help...i will look the Canada balsam... i am curious.
    Now i know what sort of enterprise use the pale latex crepe and i phone to one in France. They make bandage for example. I will have an answer on tuesday. I hope they will sell me this famous pale latex crepe.

I cross all the fingers i have .

Last thursday i saw in a microscope that someone lend me the patatoe strach...i understand now, why the Lumière used this. It is so clear, and it looks transparent. I will try to adapt a tube to take pictures with my Nikon.
    I am looking for a sieve of 15 microns not to expensive too.

Goodbye and i hope good news soon.

Shaz
    Last edited by shaz; 03-06-2011 at 06:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Shaz ,

What is your information source ? Where do you research autochrome ? Did you see the dye chemistry thread in APUG ? How will you press the glass ?

Please give us more details ,

I read someone saying crystal clear epoxy for glue the starch grains on to glass. But it tooks hours or day to set and your epoxy hardener might be very fresh otherwise you get yellow cast.

Not every epoxy is clear grade , you must call CIBA dealer to find crystal clear epoxy. Canada balsam is famous to disintegrate with moisture. But epoxy stay hundreds of years.

I will make a list of old threads in 20 minutes.

And I will pm you , take a look in to your message box.

Best ,

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Mustafa,

My information source is the book of B.Lavédrine.
    I want to try to make exactly how it is describe in the book.
    You can find all the products in the book, but by example for the pale latex crepe, i have to find an enterprise which is ready to sell me 5 kilo. Otherwise you have to buy 1 ton at the exporter.

I think that pressing the glass is not the most difficult moment. For me, the Lumière use a machine, because it's too long if a person must do it. The machine press at 7000 kilo, but at the end of the needle you have perhaps 70 kilo. Someone in my photo club work on industrial press..he said me that he is ready to help me....I thought in something : I will drill the ball of a ball bearing, put an axe, a handle and press myself....perhaps it will work.

Thank you for your link, i'm gone read it.

Shaz

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin