Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,747   Online: 1224

Shooter
    Large Format

Fixer hardener to harden Gelatin Sizing for Gum Prints??

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to harden gelatin sizing in gum printing. I have tried Glyoxal and it is nasty stuff. My roommate took a class a few years back where they hardened thier sized paper with Kodak fixer hardener. She doesn't know what formula they used.

I am hoping that someone out there knows the formula. I would love to try it!

Thank you!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Never had a problem with formalin. Nothing in gum printing is more nasty than dichromate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The standard Kodak hardening fixer is F5 - You'll find a recipe for it (and others) filed under fixers.

I prefer to add around 20ml of 2% potassium chrome alum per litre of 0.7% to 1% gelatin solution. Or soak already sized paper in a 1.3% formaldehyde solution.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 03-10-2011 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hello all,

Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately I am running a darkroom at a university and we are not allowed to use formalin or formaldehyde. The administration does not like to idea of using glyoxal as a hardening option as we don't actually know if it is any "healthier" then using the banded hardeners. There are reports the glyoxal treated paper "fumes" long after the paper has been treated. So I am searching for something else. Currently we are having students use scotchguard which works, but is far from perfect. I would like to use gelatin sizing and then harder. When someone mentioned using Fix hardener (part B of film fix) Kodak Cas# 1733013 I was very excited. So, if anyone else has heard of this I would greatly appreciate any recipe that you may have.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have the formula for the Kodak part B, I know that it has potassium alum. Christopher Walrath just post the formula for Ilford IF-13 fixer hardener, which should be similar.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum226/...ner-fixer.html
    I have not used this for hardening the gelatin for gum printing, so no first hand experience there.

I harden my gelatin with chrom alum as suggested by Paul, by adding it directly to the warm gelatin. My instructor for gum printing ( also a Univ professor ) did not have us hardening our sizing. It was simply 3 packets of Knox gelatin to 1 liter water. I found I could get three layers of gum down on my unhardened sizing, but the forth layer frequently stained.

A non-toxic alternative that I do use regularly is Gamblin PVA Sizing diluted 1:1 with water. I have used it on shrunk Rives BFK for gum. And also between the 3rd & 4th layers of gum on unhardened sizing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the tip.

But, I looking for a different formula. I have plenty of Kodak part B, actually tons. I am wondering what and how to mix it with, if at all to harden the gelatin.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hardening gelatin and fixer - sounds like a PM to PE (Private Message to Photo Engineer) asking if he can chime in on this might be in order.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin