Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,418   Online: 957

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Salt prints bleaching when fixed

I have been doing salts for a little while and getting some good results - see my small gallery. The problem is that I am having to print the image so heavy because when I fix it, the image is bleached away quite severely. I just wondered whether anyone might have a suggestion to overcome that problem. I have tried sodium bicarbonate in the hypo without success.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Do you by any chance use normal strength fixer? That will indeed bleach the image severely. I've experienced it with vandyke prints. I now use 1.5% (give or take) plain sodium thiosulfate solution (one tablespoon per liter). Problem solved.
    I don't know about salt prints, but since they're also made of colloidal silver I suppose they can't be too different.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 03-11-2011 at 02:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Colin,

I use two fix baths each for 3 mins and based on the following recipe:

700ml warm water (about 30c)
    40g Sodium Thiosulphate (to give 4% solution)
    20g Sodium carbonate
    make up to 1000ml.

I find this reduces the amount of bleaching significantly.

I use a 2% salt wash (1 min) straight after exposure which does bleach the image back somewhat, then tone prior to fixing which I find helps to reduce the amount of bleaching that takes place during the fixing stage.

I hope this helps.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use 10% hypo and fix for 5 minutes. I came to this conclusion initially by using Wynn White's recipe. I then wondered if I was using too much hypo and did some test by fixing pieces of paper which had only been sensitised and then washed and fixed. No exposure to any light. I used 5% - 7 1/2% - 10% strengths fixing for times from 2 - 6 minutes minutes for each strength. After washing and drying they were left to normal daylight exposure and ALL except the 10% 4minute and 6 minute exposures fogged to a greater or lesser extent. That confirmed in my mind I had got the strength correct. I finally decided on 5 minutes to be sure. It may be that I am not aware of some other effect on the solutions but thats the way I see it.
    I am at present carrying out further trials with sod. bicarbonate in the hypo. We'll see!
    Thank you for your input. colin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree on the less strong fixer - I also use 10%. Also, you can tone with gold (as I use) or selenium before fixing. That greatly reduces the bleaching.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with the weaker dilutions. I also add cadmium bromide to the salting solution - it gives me faster exposure times and a barely noticeable tone warming.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am pleased that others have come to the same conlcusion concerning the weaker hypo solutions.
    Juan : the selenium route seems a good way for me to try particularly as I have some selenium toner at present. What are your dilutions and timing? I guess you give a wash after the exposure - in to the toner - and then wash as normal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't remember the selenium dilution, but it should be available if you search - maybe on unblinking eye. Yes, give the normal wash after exposure, then into the toner, then into the fix.
    juan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin