Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,222   Posts: 1,659,585   Online: 735

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You may want to try making your own. What kind of enlarger do you use?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beseler 45MCR.

I've seriously thought about making my own punch/registration stuff.. Any ideas how?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It may work if you file a couple of notches in the rear edge of the holder and install matching pegs on the enlarger so it fits consistently into the same spot. You can also get a standard office paper punch (2 pin) and put metal pegs in the carrier to match.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've currently got a 2-hole punch that I've been using for my screen-plate experiments. The only problem is that it seriously impedes into the image area.

The Inglis & Condit ($$) punches use smaller pins closer to the edge. Here's a good set of pictures... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...d-carrier.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the more I think about, registration in my enlarger won't be of any benefit whatsover. It's the film that I'm projecting to, and the magnification factor that are really important. Now, if I was masking, this would make sense, but at this stage it's unnecessary.

What I do need to do is register my negatives, and then register my matrices. Some DT printers actually align & punch the matrices by placing them in their respective dye baths and lining them up visually on a light table. This seems tedious.

But, if I can accurately punch the large negatives in perfect registration (visually), all I will need to do is have a registration-board. Then, the matrices can be punched before exposure and as long as everything gets placed on the same board, I should be hunky dory. Then, I can use the same board for laying down the mats.

Voila!

That means I'll just have to make the matrices a bit longer than necessary, to accomdate the 2-hole punch.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't punch the film, punch a strip of blank film and tape that to the edge of the negative.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So last night was my first shot at printing on AGFA HDR-C Mammography X-ray film.

Preliminary results are promising!

For the sake of testing, I was projecting negatives to make transparency prints; to better judge the results.

I used Dektol (1:2) at ≈20░C; first for 1', then 1'30", but kept getting uneven development, mottling, etcetera. I increased development time to 3' and got nice & even development.

A strip of film cleared in about 2 minutes in (somewhat old) Kodak Fixer; so I fixed for 4-5 minutes.

Using a 150mm EL-Nikkor and projecting an image that was roughly 6.5" x 8" at f/22 resulted in overexposure with a 2 second exposure. The amazing thing is, my 1st test was 2 minutes (having no idea what speed this stuff was) and this produced a visible image with full tonal information, albeit incredibly dense. So, indeed, the multiple emulsions in the film make for exceptional latitude, though I shudder to think about the printing times onto dichromated gelatin with this.

I'm very curious what kind of results film developer will give. I need to put a strong neutral density filter in the light path to get remotely reasonable exposure times.

The negative I chose printed well on grade 2 previously, and it looked reasonably similar on this film. The blue-base is kinda cool as well.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin