Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,517   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mike, it's great to have you posting here and thanks for the Herschel info..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Peter

I would really like to hear how you feel about this paper, I am now delving into various alt processes and I am looking for a high quality paper to set as a standard.
    There seems to be so much talk here and on other forums about the poor performance of papers in general and its daunting to not only be starting with a bunch of new methods, but as well papers that are good or bad depending upon who you listen to.
    I have contacted the mill as well , I will place a order to test, if its good maybe a few of us NA printers should gang up on a bulk order to bring down the costs.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    ordered the paper direct from Ruscombe mills....can't wait I love linen and plat!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob- it was a number of years ago that I wondered into the Dieu Donne factory in NYC to have a look around. they make custom made papers for artists. I took some nice looking linen paper and made some lovely prints on it. of I was never able to get it again....mine is on order to from the mill in France. would be more than interested in joining a group buy to secure a good stash of quality paper.
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ok- give me an update and I will also order some and test, if it is good then we can put together a group purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    Bob- it was a number of years ago that I wondered into the Dieu Donne factory in NYC to have a look around. they make custom made papers for artists. I took some nice looking linen paper and made some lovely prints on it. of I was never able to get it again....mine is on order to from the mill in France. would be more than interested in joining a group buy to secure a good stash of quality paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Ok- give me an update and I will also order some and test, if it is good then we can put together a group purchase.
    Hi Bob

I have been testing Herschel recently and really like the paper, it has a real handmade feel to it. I prefer the texture of it when compared to Buxton. With Platinum/Palldium it gives a nice charcoal black. It coats well and does not require pre-treatment. i am going to try it with some tri-gum later to see how it responds.

Will post some examples when i get a chance.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I got a notice from the Postal service that my Herschel paper has arrived. With luck, I'll print this weekend!...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm
    I ordered some, but despite Ruscombe quoting me a reasonable delivery time around two weeks ago, it has yet to arrive. Bit of a disappointment, but probably out of their control.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    how smooth is the surface pre and post soak? It's expensive, but I would love to test a few sheets and see what they offer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many hot-pressed papers, like Arches Platine, lose some of their calender in the wet processing, especially on the felt side, and yield distinctly textured prints.
    Wet-processed Herschel paper does not look much different, in a side-by-side comparison with wet-processed Arches Platine - just a hint warmer white, perhaps, and a little more 'tooth'. Despite the texture it holds and resolves even the finest details from an original 8"x10" camera negative. If the Herschel sheet is dried under some pressure against a smooth surface, it can even end up smoother than it started.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mike,
    Are you rod coating this paper?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin