Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,599   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geez you guys-what's wrong with an analog scale? I'm just sayin'...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think a triple beam could be had for $10.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a digital scale for something like $15 in the forecourt of a shopping mall, mainly as a standby for a more expensive one. It lasted about 2 months. The other probably still works, but I haven't used it since acquiring a "My Weigh" triple beam. I'm pleased to know that I can undertake a session without worrying about the electronic scale dying at the wrong time, the triple beam is something that will run forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital scales are only readable to +/- half of the smallest unit. So 0.1g is 0.05g to 0.15g (assuming conventional rounding - the specs rarely say). It pays to have an extra step of display precision than you need for your project. Note that display precision and stability is not necessarily the same as accuracy or repeatability, or the precision of the weighing mechanism. Sensitivity of open pan balances is not usually a problem for air movement, but it can make the balance slower to respond. Stability/drift is usually a temperature issue. If you keep the balance at room temperature (in the room you weigh in) then only operational heat should be an issue.

It is not as though we are weighing grams to 5 decimal places for general photographic purposes. When I was doing analytical chemistry, the 'bucket' lab only weighed to 0.1g, while the fine analytical weighing was done to 5 decimals (reported at 4), in a temperature controlled room using balances with integral draft shields.

I have a small electronic unit. It is almost too small for photographic chemical volumes, so I usually have to tare off a pan. Think about this when you choose a model so that the display is readable. The specifications on these little things are usually bad - it is not always clear if taring comes out of the total capacity (assume it does). I have some domestic metric weights down to 5g, and some new coins, so I can test the unit from time to time. A good beam balance would be nice, but I don't have the need for it.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are two more vendors for digital scales for comparison.

http://www.dealextreme.com/

http://www.meritline.com/

Both vendors ship directly from China so it takes a little longer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin