Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,845   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheap Digital ebay Scales for Measuring Chemistry

Has anyone used one of the cheap scales on ebay? Are they accurate? I am getting into Alt. Processes, and I don't have a scale to measure chemistry. I don't want to break the bank getting all my supplies, and I was wondering if these are usable.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a "my weigh" triton t2 from amazon.com. Cheap yes, accurate, yes, compact, yes. I just used cheap and accurate in the same sentence! Do a search if you need more on this as it has come up before.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another source I've found for cheap, accurate scales are headshops. Ususally $15 - $25 will get you something that gets to .1 gram.

Apparently Hookah connoissseurs really like to accruately measure their tobacco.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got mine from dealextreme. It has a tendency to "drift", hard to get a stable reading. Cheap, yes. Good? Good enough for measuring to an accuracy of 1 gram, but certainly nothing smaller...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Sunbeam digital postal scale that I bought at Office Depot. I checked it against a set of exact scientific weights and it is right on from 1 gram through 50 grams (8 different weights). It can be set to grams or ounces. I don't recall the price but I think it was in the $30 range.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one that I bought through Amazon but the same model was available on eBay. Measures up to 2kg, works great and is perfectly accurate as others here have mentioned. You should find it perfectly acceptable.

Shooter
    35mm
    I found my Cent-o-gram scale (0.1 gram, $20) at a hamfest, if you always look around you never know what you'll find where. Kind of like taking pictures.

Incidentally a hamfest is a amateur radio operator's flea market. Picked up a Leica iiic, also $20, at one last year. My dog described it as rough, rough. But the shutters good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kq6up View Post
    Has anyone used one of the cheap scales on ebay? Are they accurate? I am getting into Alt. Processes, and I don't have a scale to measure chemistry. I don't want to break the bank getting all my supplies, and I was wondering if these are usable.
    Just calibrate it. All you need are some standard weights, and for non-critical work those are a lot easier to get than most people realize.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...specifications

Couple of bucks of coins and you're in business.

I know this is US specific, but other countries have similar standards. I just don't know where to look for them. If you aren't in the US, try Google for finding the standard weights for your country's coins.

If you need weights larger than your large coin, then weight 20 or 30 coins on the scale, discard any outliers, and measure a stack of them. For example, 20 US nickels would be 100g.

Is it traceable to national standards and legal for retail trade? No, sorry.

Is it more than good enough for a personal darkroom? Yes, you bet.

The repeatability problem kraker reported would be the only deal breaker on a cheap scale, but most of the ones I've seen are extremely repeatable, and they're cheap enough to throw away and purchase new when they finally quit.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Chillicothe, "Home of Sliced Bread", Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought one of these (I am not the seller and I get nothing for this shameless plug). Only $9.99 and free shipping
    within the USA.... I will post information on the quality when it arrives.

Digital Scale 500g x 0.1g Jewelry Gold Silver Coin Gram
    Item number: 3901739548674
    different weighing modes - g=grams, oz=ounces, dwt=pennyweight, ozt=troyounces

500g capacity x 0.1g increments

17.635oz capacity x 0.005oz increments

321.5dwt capacity x 0.1dwt increments

16.075ozt capacity x 0.005ozt increments

Weighing tray measures 2 3/8" x 2 3/8"

Scale measures 2 3/4" wide x 4" long x 3/4" thick

Operates on 2 AAA Bateries included

Scale has auto shut off after approx 2 minutes to save battery life

SHIPPING

Shipping is FREE to any US address using First Class mail. This service usually takes 2 to 5 business days for delivery. We ship no later than the next business day after your payment is received or clears. In many cases we ship the same day if paid early enough in the day.

Shipping to Canada is by USPS Priority mail and will cost $11.95 which is the amount we pay our post office. All other countries shipping is $13.95using USPS Priority mail.

Warranty: This scale has a two year warranty. If your scale ever fails with in two years of purchase just return it to me for a free replacement.
    Cameras.
    Nikon F2a (semi-retired), Nikon 28mm, Sigma 500mm f8, Vivitar Series I 70-210 zoom
    2 Nikon N90s one 70 - 300 AF Macro, one 100 - 300 AF)
    Nikon N90 w/ 100 - 300 AF lens, 24-50 AF, 35-70 AF
    Mamiya C220 80mm f2.8, 180mm f4.5, 135mm f4.5, 65mm f6.5

Three Sony Mavica Digital cameras, and a Fuji FinePix S2800HD I got after the partner died.. HP Photosmart E327
    and some Bushnell Binoculars with digit camera built in.
    Omega Super Chromega C-700 6X7 enlarger with 50mm and 80mm lens

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I got mine on Ebay about two years ago and use it to weigh out the chemicals for Cyanotype. It was very cheap (I think only about $10 - $15) and it's made by NEVA. Has a calibration weight and has worked fine since I got it.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin