Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,281   Online: 913

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

I Need Solargraphy Fixing Help!

Hello All,

Just took down a pinhole camera down the other day that had been up for a little over three months and I pointed it south to make a solargraph image. I've heard numerous times that these images can't be fixed but I went to one of my photography professors today and he said that sodium thiosulfate dissolved in water could work. He said something about about how they used to use this when doing the POP - but I'm not very familiar with this. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What is the medium?
    In general, you can fix any exposed- or printed-out silver-halide material (as far as I know), and you'd probably want to.
    Sodium thiosulfate is the primary component of popular fixers, but you can get it without the fillers if you have a reason to.

BUT -- we'd really like to see the cool image first!
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    What is the medium?
    In general, you can fix any exposed- or printed-out silver-halide material (as far as I know), and you'd probably want to.
    Sodium thiosulfate is the primary component of popular fixers, but you can get it without the fillers if you have a reason to.

BUT -- we'd really like to see the cool image first!
    Medium was a paper negative inside of a soup can pinhole. Thanks for the information about sodium thiosulfate. Here's the image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronmichael/5593778769/

It would be nice to be able to fix it and then contact print it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering if fixing the image won't bleach out what's already there. I've
    fixed out paper that has discolored upon exposure to light and gotten pure white paper base. Of course, it wasn't a 3 month exposure, but still it's something to think about. I'd test the theory with a plain hypo bath on a piece of the same paper that's been left out in the sun for a couple of days before risking losing the image completely.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very cool, Aaron!

That's colour paper, so we'll have to open the matter to the experts here. I'm completely ignorant of colour processes and the effect of straight hypo (fixer) on printed-out colour media.

Hopefully others will chime in....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the replies. I'll leave a sheet out to try to match the density of the negative that was in my camera, put it in the fixer and see what happens.

David - It's actually black and white paper. The paper is exposed for so long that it turns a reddish color when you pull it out of the camera, so once you scan it and invert it then it turns out to be a blue color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, I see now. The sweet part of the image is recorded in the various hues generated, related to relative exposure. Yeah, as Frank suggested, hypo will bleach back the colour.

I need to shut up and think about this kind of exposure a little more. Interesting.

I wonder if you could contact print onto colour paper without adding too much of an exposure bias to the original image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi aaron

if it works the same way a black and white solar graph works ..
    the image is a stain on the surface of the paper. i have done similar things
    with black and white paper ... fixing it bleached the image and made it vanish,
    contact printing was not easy, the image turned grey as light passed through it ,,
    scanning it worked OK but the image turned grey as the beam passed over it
    i never gold toned it and fixed it .. and i have no idea if there is a way to tone color paper -

cool image btw !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ^ ah, yes, should have asked the man.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi aaron

if it works the same way a black and white solar graph works ..
    the image is a stain on the surface of the paper. i have done similar things
    with black and white paper ... fixing it bleached the image and made it vanish,
    contact printing was not easy, the image turned grey as light passed through it ,,
    scanning it worked OK but the image turned grey as the beam passed over it
    i never gold toned it and fixed it .. and i have no idea if there is a way to tone color paper -

cool image btw !
    john
    Was the fixing you used with a modern fixer or with something like sodium thiosulfate dissolved in water?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin