Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,774   Online: 905

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well guys my dichromates generally run 1 1/2%, 3% 45 and 6%. An occasional 8 and 12 for good measure. When I get the negatives up to the Density ranges I talked about I'm at the 6% range. A lot has to do with what is going on in the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Well guys my Dichromate generally run 1 1/2%, 3% 45 and 6%. An occasional 8 and 12 for good measure. When I get the negatives up to the Density ranges I talked about I'm at the 6% range. A lot has to do with what is going on in the negative.

1 1/2%, 3% 45 and 6%

I've never done any at 45; is that 45%? Smiley face inserted here.

How are those 14X17 prints working out? I'm about finished with my 11x14 build. Camera Bellows needs 240 pounds for a bellows. I'm making my own and when I'm though remodeling my darkroom I'm making a nice 11x14 in the same type of design as yours. Then I'll order a custom bellows. If you beat me out of any more glass I'll have to make do with what I have. Ha, ha, ha!

Do you ever show up at Yosemite during the time of Vaughn's workshop?

Best,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My standard is still 8%, though my negatives of late have been "weaker" (using FP4 and Ilford Universal PQ developer) so I have done some 6%, and even some 4%. But there are some negatives I might revisit with 10%.

The Yosemite workshop has disappeared from the AA Gallery website -- so I assume that it has been cancelled due to a lack of interest. Sort of wish they would have contacted me directly, though.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that's a disappointment, It's interesting, when I stopped in there they said they were reorganizing. I guess they reorganized it right off the calendar.
    Well that's another fine mess!
    Maybe somewhere else will present an opportunity... one never knows...
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    1 1/2%, 3% 45 and 6%

I've never done any at 45; is that 45%? Smiley face inserted here.

How are those 14X17 prints working out? I'm about finished with my 11x14 build. Camera Bellows needs 240 pounds for a bellows. I'm making my own and when I'm though remodeling my darkroom I'm making a nice 11x14 in the same type of design as yours. Then I'll order a custom bellows. If you beat me out of any more glass I'll have to make do with what I have. Ha, ha, ha!

Do you ever show up at Yosemite during the time of Vaughn's workshop?

Best,
    Curt
    Curt, usually I read what I type! That should have been 4%. Sometimes the shift key does not work. As far as glass goes I think I'm done for a while. Prices have gotten crazy! Once in a while I find a good deal but it is getting harder and harder. My 14x17 bellows from Custom Bellow cost me $500.00 delivered to my door. Expensive but I wasn't going to screw that part up! As far as cameras go I do have something in the works but that is all I'll say right now.
    I did a still life with the 14x17 last night and have to develop the negatives. I also poured some 15x18 tissue so I can print if the negatives look good. X-ray film of course. 14x17 @ $.50 a sheet is great!
    If Vaughn's workshop was a go I would have come up. I always love to see my mentor!

Shooter
    Large Format
    AA Gallery screwed this up with their reorganization.

They have always done virtually no advertising which is because of the expense ... they don't make a lot from these workshops. But they didn't even make an effort on the forums or other websites.

They also raised the price this year ... and did away with the ability to make a deposit to hold your spot ... meaning you had to front the whole price up front, months in advance.

They also failed to put any information on their own website about guaranteeing lodging space (as they did in the past.)

When I went to their website in December to see about attending the scheduled April workshop, the Yosemite Lodge was already booked up for that week. I contacted their workshop coordinator to ask if they would take a deposit and if they could guarantee Lodge rooms ... the answer was no. He said they could guarantee lodging somewhere in the Park and they would add that information to their website ... but they never did.

I ended up not signing up this year for other reasons but hate to see this great workshop disappear because AA Gallery can't get their act together.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, I can not complain too much -- the past two years they have let my workshop run with less-than-minimum enrollment. They still made a few bucks and so did I -- and those that signed up got good value, and we all had a good time making prints in a beautiful place (Yosemite Valley is hard to beat in April!)

Their digital workshops seem to be doing quite well...and I would love to take Kerik's workshop in November to learn more about digital negatives and fine-tune my platinum work.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never printed carbon, But i have seen both B&W and color carbon prints in person. They are amazing, when i have the time i will certainly try to make some carbon prints. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with a guy by the name of Gordon Chapple, But he was a king of carbon printing, who passed away a couple years ago. Well i have his enlarger and many of his other darkroom items in my darkroom now, thanks to his generous son. heres a page about him: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/CarSym/CGC/cgc.html. He is one of those people i never got to meet but i still feel very close to him every time i print (especially considering that i am using his equipment!). Anyways, carbon prints are beautiful, and i had the pleasure of seeing some of his.
    -Austin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I dropped by and visited with Gordon and his wife a couple times and we showed each other our prints and he showed me set-up. He did wonderful work.

He liked the raised relief of my prints and he said he was going to be working on that idea for some new pieces, but I don't know how far he was able to take the idea.

On my second visit he gave me his old NuArc plate burner -- an interesting old beast:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=57058

It is at the university now -- it will be great for our alt photo classes. I'll have to put Gordon's name on it -- it is a nice reminder of a great person and printer!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I dropped by and visited with Gordon and his wife a couple times and we showed each other our prints and he showed me set-up. He did wonderful work.

He liked the raised relief of my prints and he said he was going to be working on that idea for some new pieces, but I don't know how far he was able to take the idea.

On my second visit he gave me his old NuArc plate burner -- an interesting old beast:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=57058

It is at the university now -- it will be great for our alt photo classes. I'll have to put Gordon's name on it -- it is a nice reminder of a great person and printer!

Vaughn
    that's funny, you'd probably recognize quite a bit of equipment i have in my darkroom. As i understand it, he was a very nice, generous person, I definitely saw that in his son. It's a big shame that he passed away so suddenly and it was without warning for anyone. Even bigger shame that his wife was with him when the accident happened. The prints i saw of his were very 3-D, and as you probably know, he did color carbon transfer printing too, which is a very cool process. These were extra 3-D! I wish i could've met him, his work is amazing.
    -Austin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin