Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,023   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Negatives for Carbon

With the depressing loss of centennial POP I have been searching for a process that would suit me. Seems like Carbon would be it. Sounds fun and I like the idea of doing most of the work in water instead of chemicals.

My question is about the negs. I have negs suited to POP and know what those should look like. Would these negs be suited to Carbon as well? If it would be important I shoot Efke PL100 and develope with pyrocat in tubes. 8x10 and 5x7
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My guide for negs that print perfectly for my way of doing carbons (lots of relief) -- if the neg makes a platinum print that has the proper (or too much) contrast, with no contrast agent used (Potassium chlorate, NA2, or dichromate), then I know I have a great carbon negative.

Your POP negatives will probably work, especially having used a staining developer. You might just start with those...especially if you buy the pre-made carbon tissue from Bostick and Sullivan.

If you want to make your own tissue and want a significant raised relief, make a couple negs of the same scene -- expose normally and then develop one at 50% more time than "normal" and the other at 100% more time.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mark, if it helps any I shoot Efke-25 and develop in Pyrocat-HD. My best negatives for printing my carbon work with my own tissue have a density range of 1.8 to 2.2. Works well for my process. I pour thick tissue and get plenty of relief. Kind of like Vaughn! Should be as he taught me the process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just incase you didn't know, there is a POP available these days... http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/ca...-Chloride-POP/

Not to discourage you from carbon of course!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Images
    HOLY CRAP CAKES BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you see the price of that stuff?! 5 bucks a sheet. Carbon looks better and better.

Will try the POP negs to see how they work. Found out I am working under the gun on my project so I need to get off my rump.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Snifflling snodgrass Robin, you're absolutely right!

Carbon is afterall, the premiere choice.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mark ... I also learned carbon from Vaughn. I shoot mostly for silver processes (lower contrast than either Vaughn or Jim F.) and find that most of those negatives work fine in carbon ... I just end up using lower percentages of dichromate and longer printing exposure times.

I shoot WP and 8x10 and use Pyrocat HD or HC-110 in a Jobo Expert 3005.

So, I don't think you will have any trouble successfully adjusting the carbon process to your collection of POP negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, are you in the 1/2 to 1% club too? I'm boosting my negatives to get some relief; so to speak. It's interesting to pick a negative and see what it yields in Carbon though and when beginning that's about all a person has. I dug into my negatives to find some that that were right for Carbon but years of shooting helped me refine them down to print on silver without any problems at all.

I learned the process from Vaughn too. Actually a person never quite learns the process completely because there are so many styles and variables to work from. For one thing it's not boring and every print is amazing to see.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt ... have done 1% ... haven't been down to 1/2% yet ... probably should have, though.

Most of mine are 2-3%

I'm heading back to the Tonopah Workshop in two weeks ... I'll say hello to the gazebo crowd for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim, I opted to go to the Vancouver BC workshop with Vaughn. I'd like very much to go to the Yosemite workshop.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin