Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,051   Online: 830

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its not rick , he is Chris 101 , I am sorry.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

These are %14 depleted uranium mixed Fiesta Ceramic Ware glazes

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 05-10-2011 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Uranium oxide glazes.

Umut

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The prints are so beautiful! However, seeing chris 101 talk about uranium nitrate has cured my desire to tone prints with it.. Good thing its expensive being that dangerous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am now interested... Although if Orange tones were attainable with table salts would we be so interested?

After more reading it does not sound that dangerous. Although where do you pour the old bath? I wouldn't want a $1,000,000 superfund clean-up fee pinned on me.

I live in the USA and love English, Swedish, and French cars... the machine shop I deal with said why not rebuild a Chevy Small block like a normal person... I said. If only I lived in Sweden, then I'd love American cars.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 05-14-2011 at 11:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If table salt could do the same thing, then I definitely would play with it. I've got a Mcgaver streak a mile wide! However, it wouldn't be as cool as saying it was made with uranium. I haven't handled the stuff myself, but I am willing to accept what Chris101 says about the respect it deserves.

Originally Posted by Chris101
    Oh man! You should see me in the Tyvek moon-suit I wear when I work with heavy metal salts in a photo tray! The hazard associated with uranium, vanadium and other heavy metals is liver and kidney damage, not the extremely slight radioactivity the depleted uranium nitrate has. While the pure compound does click a geiger counter nicely, the prints do not register anything at all above the background radiation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This thread really go in my head. I dreamt I was manking yellow orange prints with this process and when I dipped my prints in the Uraniim Nitrate bath they smolder and burt into flames on the edges and then extinguished as they were submirged.

Anyone have an answer about the ramefications of throwing the used bath down the drains?
    Otherwise I don't think the process seems all that hazardus seeing that modern Uranium Nitrate is made from depleted Uranium. I use a respirator or go outside to mix even D-76 or Dektol. I don't think the Uranium bath emitts fumes like a Mercuyr bath would.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Uranyl Nitrate can be had from Vanbar for those of us in Australia.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "It is impossible to make a good photograph with uranium salt toning" -- Brooks Jensen

http://www.brooksjensenarts.com/arti...hotography.pdf
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And my neighbor told me my sailboat was a bad idea too...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin