Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,556   Online: 1107

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 591011121314151617 LastLast

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I am quite pleased to learn that you have had some success making tri-color diazostilbene carbons. Could you share some info (or even a foto or two) on your procedures? What kind of separation negative (con-tone/half-tone - silver/inkjet) are you using?

Best,

Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes, I am pleased with these tests too! They went rather well.

As I wrote earlier I found the 4,4'diazidostilbene here in the Netherlands at about €1,10 (= $1,36) per gram. Rather expensive compared to dichromate, but not a real show stopper.
    I used the Kremer color pastes and a Gelita photo gelatin, restauration quality (of bovine origin) in a 10% solution. Added 30gr sugar and 3ml glycerine per liter.
    Coating was on 200gr Yupo with a RD200 coating rod.

My color balance was a bit off, the Kremer M is very powerfull so I need to cut that down next tissue pouring session.
    Diazidostilbene/gelatin ratio in my mix is 0.06 (6 gr per 100gr gelatin). I followed more or less your recommendations above. Printing time is a little bit longer than with my usual 3% dichromate. I used the same time for all colors.

I transfered the A3+ prints (K=>C=>M=>Y) to an albumen coated polycarbonate sheet and used an (ebay acquired) kodak register punch. The albumen really helped, but unfortunately reintroduced some dichromate again. I will experiment with other albumen hardeners (alcohol?) and other coatings. Until now I tried fully hydrolyzed PVA (Mowiol 4-98) but without succes. Washing the transfered print with the albumin subcoating is much much easier than without!

I print digital negatives with QuadToneRip on an Epson 7890 on Sihl film. I use a custom QTR profile with partioned PK, LK, LLK and Y as a UV blocking toner ink. Curve was calculated with Charthrob. I also experimented with Icefields to generate a stochastic set of negatives. But outputting them well on the epson needs a dedicated rip. I did not try imagesetter output of these yet. In my opinion the QTR inkdot dithering allready behaves as a stochastic halftone in it's nature.

Here's a tray snapshot of the first two, still wet, and a bit too magenta. These are part of a series of portaits I'm working on - based on merged contemporary and historic faces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1042.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	52998

regards,

Kees
    Last edited by keesbran; 06-28-2012 at 05:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo's

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Kees,

Thank you for the precise and in-depth description of your procedure. It is most impressive that you are achieving these results using the same exposures for all colors.

A few thoughts/questions:

I agree with you that eliminating dichromate from the albumen would be desirable - have you tried the diazidostilbene in its place?

Does the slight magenta cast in the wet prints lighten when the prints are dried? What are you using as a clearing bath?

Are you working CMY or CMYK?

Once again, allow me congratulate you on your success - I look forward to seeing more of the merged portrait series.

Best,

Charles

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Hi Charles,

I agree with you that eliminating dichromate from the albumen would be desirable - have you tried the diazidostilbene in its place?
    No, not yet, but I will do.

Does the slight magenta cast in the wet prints lighten when the prints are dried? What are you using as a clearing bath?
    Somewhat, I did not clear them yet.

Are you working CMY or CMYK?
    CMYK

Printing times are based on first max density with my digital negatives and kept the same for all 4 colors to keep this variable constant (for a start). Pigment amounts were based on earlier experience with the Kremer color pastes in 3 and 4 color gum.
    For this pouring I used C=10gr M=10gr Y=16gr K=10gr per liter 10% gelatin. Note: the Y has 60% pigment solids and is more liquid than the others. I will cut down the M somewhat for a better balance. If the results are more or less ok, I probably will generate a linearization for each color channel. The UV absorption/transmission is not the same for all 4colors. And....if all that is done and stable, maybe I'll try to colorprofile the whole process...

Once again, allow me congratulate you on your success - I look forward to seeing more of the merged portrait series.
    Thanks!
    Your posts here and the videos with Todd Gangler were very informative!

regards,

kees

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Kees,

I have been following this thread with interest. I was wondering which company in the netherlands you found your 4,4'diazidostilbene with? I am in the UK, and to be honest have absolutely no clue where to start looking for this other than through good old Google. The only place I have found in the UK to stock it will not sell to an individual, only to Limited companies...

Any help would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Hi,

This is more or less the same here in the Netherlands. But as a professional photographer I have access to wholesale chemical suppliers (VAT and chamber of commerce registrations required). The one that supplied the stilbene is Interchema/Antonides (antonides.com).

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format

Art & Soul's Greatest Hits

Color carbon prints made by Tod Gangler will be on exhibit at Art & Soul, 2860 NW Market St, Seattle, from October 13 thru November 9. Here's the Press Release:

"Art & Soul is proud to present a selection of printers proofs on display from a series of the best projects we've had the privilege to work on over the last decade. The images span from the early history of color photography to the present and are all printed as tri-color or four color carbon prints. We hope you can join us for this unique and one of a kind showing!"

This is a rare opportunity to view a matchless collection of impeccably made historic and contemporary color carbon photographs.

Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color carbon prints made by Tod Gangler will be on exhibit at Art & Soul, 2860 NW Market St, Seattle, from October 13 thru November 9. Here's the Press Release:

"Art & Soul is proud to present a selection of printers proofs on display from a series of the best projects we've had the privilege to work on over the last decade. The images span from the early history of color photography to the present and are all printed as tri-color or four color carbon prints. We hope you can join us for this unique and one of a kind showing!"

This is a rare opportunity to view a matchless collection of impeccably made historic and contemporary color carbon photographs.

Charles
    Those of us who were fortunate to attend the 2012 Northwest Symposium for Alternative Photography in Bellevue Washington on September 22nd were able to see some of Tod's printer's proofs. They are truly wonderful. I would strongly recommend that people make time to see this.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Digital Negs

Charles
    Hi Charles,

For al of us living far away from Art & Soul would you be so kind to take up your camera once again and walk through this exhibition together with Tod?
    Would be great!

thanks,

Kees

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I happen to have a friend in Seattle this weekend; I'm sending him on my behalf!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow! I wish I lived up north.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin