Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,598   Online: 872

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Tod using UltraStable materials or his own carbon tissues? In the latter case, can I assume he's using diazo sensitizers?

The ability to work in such strong lighting is appealing; I guess those FL bulbs are UV shielded.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Charles, thanks for posting this most informative video. Tod is truly a master. I very much agree with you in that following correct procedure is key to successful carbon printing.

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Is Tod using UltraStable materials or his own carbon tissues?

I guess those FL bulbs are UV shielded.
    Tod uses his remaining stock of UltraStable pigment films along with hand made materials which replicate the original UltraStable products.

And yes, the FL bulbs are UV shielded.

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format

Albumen Coating

Here's a (very) brief video of Tod Gangler albumen coating a sheet of polyester to be used as a temporary support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVyfx57Lglg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles,

If the UltraStable process instructions say to use plain polyester sheets washed with Comet soap, what is the pull towards using this dichromated-albumen coating?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Albumen coating the temporary support is an old technique used to improve adhesion that Tod favors but which I have never found necessary. It does work well and it is mentioned in the video of Tod making a print . I've received questions about it but I've been reluctant to describe it because of my (by now well-known) dislike of dichromate. With all the current discussions of diazo-type sensitizers that can be used to replace dichromate, perhaps this is another area worthy of exploration.

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone achieved a really successful carbon over palladium print?

I have been trying to get a nice layer of gelatin as a support for the carbon layer but I am getting alot of flaking.

Is the gelatin support even necessary when combining these two processes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tod is an excellent teacher, I work excatement like him. Tod told me that it is. But we must understand that I live in Belgium and I do not know have the same ingredients as Tod and Charles. I had to adapt my technique (formula, gelatin, albumin and dichromate, negative) based on my personal process but otherwise the principle of my technique is as excatement Tod explained to me, but I adapted to suit my work. Here is a Simple Transfer Carbon as process of Tod and Charles but with my process adapted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charbon_Berger_10.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AltGirl View Post
    Has anyone achieved a really successful carbon over palladium print?

I have been trying to get a nice layer of gelatin as a support for the carbon layer but I am getting alot of flaking.

Is the gelatin support even necessary when combining these two processes?
    Why? One can achieve the look of a Palladium print if one knows their work flow in carbon. The bonus is you get relief!

Shooter
    35mm

UltraStable sensitivity to humidity?

Most carbon printers know (or at least should know) that dichromate-sensitized tissues are quite sensitive to relative humidity (or more properly, the moisture content of the tissues), which affects speed and contrast. This is one of the factors often cited against dichromate-sensitized tissues for color printing, the difficulty in controlling speed and contrast from tissue-to-tissue and print-to-print.

Are the UltraStable tissues as sensitive to differences in ambient humidity as dichromate-sensitized tissues?

--Greg

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin