Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,869   Online: 880

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: UltraStable Video on YouTube

"What kinds of CMYK pigments did he use for the glop solutions?"

MigdalBaval

Phthalocyanine Blue GS (PB15:3)
    Quinacridone Magenta (PR122)
    Bismuth Vanadate Yellow (PY184)
    Carbon Black (PBK7)

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am cross posting this from the diazo thread:

Originally Posted by keesbran

"...does the original Ultrastable recipe contain other special ingrediënts like surfactants or conservation agents?
    And how about sugar/glycerin/alcohol (amounts) or other plasticizers in the pigmented gelatin?"

The "recipe" for the UltraStable pigment films is based on (except for the sensitizer) the formulation published in "The Home Manufacture of Materials for Carbon Printing" ( Wm. D. Fleming, American Photography, Vol 32, 1938, August, No. 8) :

Gelatin (20%) 100 ml
    Sugar 5 g
    Glycerin 1.5 ml
    Pigment 1-5 - 2.5 g
    Thymol (10% solution in 95% alcohol) 5 ml

Water (to make) 200 ml Total

Surfactants were added to the emulsion to facilitate machine coating but are not necessary for hand-made materials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I believe that I now have a stabilizer that is 40x better than Thymol at the same concentration. It remains to be seen whether it will have an effect on this "glop" that is harmful.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

For Carbon Color, Porprotion of Different Color

Hi Charles,

Gelatin (20%) 100 ml
    Sugar 5 g
    Glycerin 1.5 ml
    Pigment 1-5 - 2.5 g

And

Phthalocyanine Blue GS (PB15:3)
    Quinacridone Magenta (PR122)
    Bismuth Vanadate Yellow (PY184)
    Carbon Black (PBK7)

I would like to make carbon color using the form below and dyes.

I ask myself some questions?.

1. You use dry pigments or tube watercolor for coloring?
    2. You give a concentration of 1.5 to 2.5 gr
    Can give you the exact concentration with gr for different colors Yellow, blue, red and black or % between the Yellow, blue, red and Black with a first exactely gr concentration of pigment to make the color Carbon Tissue.
    3. For exposure time, is there a % of UV exposure time between 4 colors color Carbon Tissue

Thank you for your help

The concentration of Pigment
    Pigment 1-5 - 2.5 g
    What is the best quantity of
    Phthalocyanine Blue ? gr
    Quinacridone Magenta ? gr
    Bismuth Vanadate Yellow ? gr
    Carbon Black ? gr
    Or the différence centration % between this différents pigments.

Sorry for my english and best regards of all the members of this group

Thank you

Philippe

Philippe Berger
    mineurdecharbon@skynet.be

CMB

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pigments for Color Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Berger View Post
    1. You use dry pigments or tube watercolor for coloring?
    2. You give a concentration of 1.5 to 2.5 gr
    Can give you the exact concentration with gr for different colors Yellow, blue, red and black or % between the Yellow, blue, red and Black with a first exactely gr concentration of pigment to make the color Carbon Tissue.
    3. For exposure time, is there a % of UV exposure time between 4 colors color Carbon Tissue
    1. The C-M-K UltraStable colorants were aqueous pigment dispersions. The Yellow pigment was a dry powder which was ground and made into an aqueous dispersion.

2. In order to balance pigments for the color carbon process, it is first necessary to identify precisely which versions of the four color pigments will be used.

While the spectral characteristics of specific color pigments made by various manufactures may be quite uniform, aqueous dispersions of the same pigments can vary greatly. The surfactants and dispersants, not the pigment itself, used in the grinding and suspension of the pigment particles, are the chief cause of failure (in terms of cross-linking the gelatin emulsion) in the color carbon process. Some additives inhibit hardening, while others cause spontaneous hardening.

Once the individual pigment dispersions have been selected, the amounts required to achieve a neutral gray balance are a function of (besides their color values) the transparency and density characteristics of the pigments. Adjust (by trial and error) the concentration of pigment in the emulsion to achieve printed solid color densities of at least: Cyan 1.35 - 1.45; Magenta 1.25-1.35; Yellow .90 - 1.0; Black, 1.2 -1.3 . The base fog density ("pigment stain") of each color should be .03 or less.

3. The four color UltraStable pigment films were balanced to provide a neutral gray scale using the same exposure for each color (typically, 3-5 minutes with a 1000W Mercury Vapor lamp). By altering the exposure times from the neutral 1:1:1:1 settings, variations in color balance and density could be achieved in the final print without having to remake the high-resolution screened (optical or digital) separation negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format

negatives séparations for Carbon COlor

Charles,
    Very thank you for your précisins for the pigments, It is very interesting
    I am a last question
    It is for the negatives sépararations color if you use photoshop ?
    With the original color pictures, if you use Photoshop, the separations of the color layers is to RVB for the negatives to make CMY Carbon color or you separate the color layers with photoshop is CMYB to make the negatives for the Carbon color dand the negatives cyan is the carbon Cyan ect ... ?

Thank you

Best regards

Philippe

Shooter
    Multi Format

Carbon Tissue Black one layer with this glop

Hi Charles,

Gelatin (20%) 100 ml
    Sugar 5 g
    Glycerin 1.5 ml
    Pigment 1-5 - 2.5 g

I have a Carbon transfer in a single layer black.
    I would use this formula (glop) to my Carbon Tissue black fabric.
    I use the black sumi ink.
    Know you tell me the amount in milliliters (ml) of sumi ink should I use this formula (glop) to get a Carbon Transfer in a single layer.

Thank you for your help

Philippe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I remarked earlier, I am working on a preservative that is supposed to be 40x better than Thymol. Is this of interest to any of you?

I have another behind it in development that will be even better, but I need to know if there is interest in this stuff.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    As, always, PE, thanks for your ongoing contributions...

From an academic standpoint, a more effective preservative is interesting. But given reasonable care in drying and storing hand-made tissues, they do not seem to be particularly susceptible to picking up nasties, and the broader experience base seems to suggest that Thymol is sufficient. In all my reading of various carbon threads and fora, I don't recall seeing any mention of Thymol-preserved tissues deteriorating due to microbial or fungal action.

Speaking from my opinion, here, if that advanced preservative is useful or necessary to your emulsion work, that should be the primary focus (and "market"). If it is readily obtainable, then some may choose to use it for their carbon tissues or other purposes, but I doubt it would be the driving force in continuing development of it. I hope that doesn't come across as too discouraging, but that's the way I see it.

--Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

In my experience, the "glop" goes bad pretty fast. That is what I am combating. Gelatin deterioration while either s wet "glop" or as plain gelatin for coating.

PE

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin