Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,858   Online: 806

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    Never claimed to be all knowing. In fact I asked a question. Since you have the experience with this developer, care to answer it?
    if you aren't claiming to be all-knowing why do you claim the developer is poor, without any first hand experience ?

there are plenty of people who use it and plenty of examples of work created with it, here on apug or elsewhere ...

I don't understand why anyone would bother with this poor developer. We have much better homebrew developers available. Such as PC-TEA. Total waste.
    you were directed there in the other thread .. and i will direct you there again

http://caffenol.blogspot.com/
    http://caffenol.blogspot.com/2010/03/r.html

caffenol can be made with relatively benign household ingredients
    or those found in a grocery store ..
    the chemicals are not nasty and toxic like most other developers
    (pctea/pyro/metol/hq )
    the developer ingredients last a long time both dry and mixed
    caffenol can be used as a deep tank, replenished, or one shot developer
    it can be used as a print or film developer,
    it has no trouble processing a variety of iso films in the same batch
    for the same time

Blue Monkey -

if you want to make caffenol with just caffic acid
    there are lots of suppliers worldwide and it is about 1-2$ a kg
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/caffeic-acid.html

but there might be other ingredients in the coffee that add to the developer
    and make it do what it does ... so your results might not be the same ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-11-2011 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think mint tea or an infusion of rosemary leaves will work.

I have only tried Caffenol once (simple version without ascorbic acid) and I thought it was very good. I couldn't tell any difference in the negatives from those I had developed with Ilfor LC-29 which was my normal developer at the time.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (phenidone)

I wouldn't order anything larger than a few grams, as it doesn't have a good shelf life, and very little goes a loooooong way.
    Yeah, I can't imagine who would need a pound of phenidone as a private citizen! I think I bought 100 g from the Formulary about three years ago, and I'll probably be used up before it will.

It apparently keeps better in solution in propylene glycol than dry; easier to measure that way, too.

What is so alternative about Coffee developers? Do they produce different results from regular developers?
    Well, they're mild staining developers and have no solvent whatsoever, which is a kind of interesting combination. I've found I really like the results I get from Fomapan 100 in Caffenol C, though I couldn't tell you in objective terms exactly what constitutes "That Look".

They're "alternative", though, mainly in the sense of being made entirely from household ingredients. I wouldn't really call Caffenol an "alternative process" myself.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read too many problematic Caffenol accounts to consider it poor. That's why I never gave it a try. How much film and how long did it take you to iron the kinks out of it? Is it good with fast films? What about fog and general stain?

PC-TEA worked for me right away without any fine-tuning or wasting time and film. It gives results similar to Xtol, and along with Xtol is far from toxic. Phenidone isn't metol, and TEA is used in cosmetics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How much film and how long did it take you to iron the kinks out of it? Is it good with fast films? What about fog and general stain?
    As I wrote earlier, I have only used it once and I followed someone's instructions (probably on this forum).

I developed for half an hour and my first and only film (FP4+) was perfect. I didn't notice any stain and there was no apparent fogging above what I would consider to be a normal base level.

It was such a success that if I wanted to develop a film and had run out of 'proper' developer, I wouldn't hesitate to use Caffenol.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    bwrules ...
    the main "problems" that happen with caffenol or caffenol C are problems
    from using the wrong ingredients - instead of washing soda people might use baking soda,
    or a different form of soda "crystals" or they don't use vit c powder but something altogether
    different because they were told by someone at a store that " it is the same thing " when it isn't.
    it is one of few developers where exact measurements are not critical ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Appreciate all the information and the feedback from your experiences. Thanks also for the chem links. Sources are limited in Canada. The one source I found, Fisher Scientific was selling in bulk quantities. Hopefully ordering the dry chems will avoid the Hazmat fees and hassles of getting the liquids.

I do intend to try both Caffenol and PC-TEA now knowing the details of both. Just waiting on my shipment of Shanghai 100. I'll likely try a sheet at a time with each developer/time combination and see what works best with the Shanghai.

btw, off topic, but the Photographica Fair is this May 15th in Woodbridge. Put on by the www.phsc.ca folks. Good source of expired film along with used camera equipment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin