Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,989   Online: 881

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I don't know...but I think your recent pictures certainly belong here.

Crap like this is why I just call them pictures or prints.
    Agreed!
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just don't ask Maris for his answer to this question

As for my answer - it never stops being a photograph, but it may become something else as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    John,
    Worrying about what to call an artwork is a job for your biographer. You just keep making them and we'll be happy.
    I couldn't come close to saying that better.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Google around for Steichen's paintings and compare it to his platinum gum prints. there are stories of his work being warmly accepted in galleries then rejected when they sere revealed to be photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Just don't ask Maris for his answer to this question

As for my answer - it never stops being a photograph, but it may become something else as well.
    That is an elegant way of putting it particularly because it effectively acknowledges where the photograph ends and the other stuff begins.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    jnanian,

Your work is always refreshing. I'd call it photography, of the highest order.

I almost would categorize photograms differently though they are made on photosensitive material. Though I would still call pinhole photography even though a lens is not involved.

The first thing I would say is not photography is the painting style "Photorealism" where a photograph might be taken first, then meticulously re-created by hand in acrylic or oil paint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks guys ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin