Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,509   Online: 837

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sally Mann Documentary, print coating

Hello,
    not sure that this is quite the right place to be asking this, but I figured that most of the frequenters on the alt. process thread would know most about this. Well I'm watching the Sally Mann documentary, "what remains," and i see her coating her prints with a brownish glop. What is this? What is it's purpose? Is this how she often gets the warm yellowish tone to her prints (i can't quite figure out if it's from the glop, or toning, or is the glop a toner?)
    appreciate any insight on this!
    -Austin
    Also, later in the documentary, she uses a similar glop that is a deep blue, giving the image a bit of a cold tone. I'm not sure if it is the same thing with a different color or not, but if that helps with your identification of it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I saw her exhibit at the VMFA. The photographs are treated with sandarac varnish or Soluvar matte varnish mixed with diatomaceous earth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw her work at VMFA a while back, good stuff!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    She coats those with a resin that she must mix from two parts.
    I saw them at a gallery. Smooth plastic-like surface. Wonderful depth, Very cool.
    I have seen similar stuff at Plaza Art and Michaels. Very expensive at those places.

Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks really cool! is there anything similar that doesn't cost so much?
    -Austin

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sandarac Varnish

Sandarac vanish is really not that expensive. You can get it from Bostick and Sullivan along with a wet collodion kit. Diatomaceous earth can be found at places like Southern states landscaping. It is mixed in the varnish and then coated to the print. Sometimes she does tone her prints with tea or some other tannic toner. It's very interesting stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin