Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,381   Online: 817

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Carbon Portraits

I'm taking a carbon printing workshop in a couple of weeks and have been going through my negs looking for ones with really long tonal ranges.
    Something I've noticed looking at carbon prints by others, is that they all seem to be landscapes. I can't remember ever seeing a portrait done with carbon. Is there a reason for this? Is carbon unflattering to skin tones? Does carbon appeal particularly strongly to introverted, go-off-into-the-woods-by-myself types?
    Just wondering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience shows that smooth tone transitions such as skies and skin are problematic - I get clearing problems. However, I do use home made tissues from X-ray film which are thicker than B&S - I think this is part of my problem. I haven't yet tried fixed out RC paper as a one shot tissue, it's thinner, so until then I can only speculate. If you look at sharpbokeh's print made from the thinner B&S tissue, the skies are smooth.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've seen some absolutely stunning carbon portraits. I think part of the secret may lie in using camera original negs at 1:1 (as opposed to using an enlarged neg.)
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I'm taking a carbon printing workshop in a couple of weeks and have been going through my negs looking for ones with really long tonal ranges.
    Something I've noticed looking at carbon prints by others, is that they all seem to be landscapes. I can't remember ever seeing a portrait done with carbon. Is there a reason for this? Is carbon unflattering to skin tones? Does carbon appeal particularly strongly to introverted, go-off-into-the-woods-by-myself types?
    Just wondering.
    Purely opinion here, but I think the process itself is more favorable with compositions that have more contrast. While I enjoy a portrait as much as anyone, I am one of those go-off-into-the-woods-by-myself types and do lean more toward landscapes than portrait work. I have a carbon print from someone proficient with the process. The contrast between light and dark seems to have more of an effect in the gelatin's relief/texture on the paper than do the smoother transitions commonly found in a portrait. If I had to pick one photographer's portrait(s) for carbon printing, it would have to be Yousuf Karsh. His harsh lighting style would be a benefit in carbon printing.
    Again, it's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Chris

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin