Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,043   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbro process

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Nah Roy, you will get there, all I am saying is buckle up and be prepared to fail more than once....or twice,...or three times....
    Jorge,
    You consider it worth persevering with then ? What sparked your interest ?
    Roy.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Jorge,
    You consider it worth persevering with then ? What sparked your interest ?
    Roy.
    I have been curious about carbon for many years, like Thomas I have the Modern Carbon printing book by Luis Nadeau, that I got from him, it has been sitting on my shelve for about 8 years, so I figure is time for me to try it. I have never seen a carbon print, so I want to know what it looks like. The rest is just pure undiluted stubburness.

I realize my first attempt will not be perfect, but if I can see just a glimmer of a nice process, I might just keep on doing it. I like the fact that you can do many color, and even true color prints, I have seen some in the internet and they look fabulous, so the real thing must be amazing. The print King has in the Comming Into Focus book also looks real nice, so....here I am with gelatin up to my armpits....

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jorge,
    You may well have seen them but I was looking at the prints on 'carbromac.com'
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge,
    I 've seen them on the net, just not for real....we will see after tonight, I am getting ready to print one...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jorge,
    Mac is very possibly the best carbro printer in the world. His work is certainly the best I have seen. I have a small sample print that he made, in fact it is one of the prints featured in the gallery, and the relief is simply incredible. He has really perfected this technique, primarily in the tissue making stage. The Bostick and Sullivan tissue is not optimized for relief effect and it generally gives fairly low relief, at least with carbon. I have not tried it with carbro.

As I mentioned in a previous message, you will generally get more relief with carbro than with carbon. This has to do with the fact that the chemical sensitization of the carbro process carries through the gelatin, whereas the light sensitization of carbon sometimes works only at or close to the surface.

Carbro makes a lot of sense if you like projection printing because you can start with a small negative and enlarge it to whatever size you desire for the final print.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 10-04-2004 at 09:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Mac is very possibly the best carbro printer in the world. Sandy
    Trust me to pick somebody like that as an inspirational example !!
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for posting this thread and the link to carbromac.com . This is just more great stuff that comes out of this place. Don't know how you alt process guys do it, but glad you turn out such great work. Now if someone could just point me to a place where I can see a 8x10 or larger tintype.
    Mike C

Rambles

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=photomc] Now if someone could just point me to a place where I can see a 8x10 or larger tintype.

Have a look at the Alternative Photography website; you can find examples of lots of different processes there. On another forum, I believe somebody enquiring about tintypes was directed to the National Geographic pages if I remember correctly.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin