Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,841   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbro process

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Carbro process

One for Sandy possibly. Having seen some images posted on an alt.photography site, I would like to find out more about this process and wondered whether there were any books on the technique and whether it is a difficult process. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    One for Sandy possibly. Having seen some images posted on an alt.photography site, I would like to find out more about this process and wondered whether there were any books on the technique and whether it is a difficult process. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hi Roy,

I describe the process in my book The Book of Carbon and Carbro: Contemporary Procedures for Monochrome Pigment Printmaking, available through Bostick and Sullivan.

I printed with carbro for a bunch of years and made a lot of nice prints, mostly by projection printing with 5X7 negatives. Eventually I became more interested in ULF camera work and switched to carbon. And now that I can make digitally enlarged negatives I find that carbon has a lot more pros than carbro. I talk about the pros and cons in the book.

A carbon and carbro final print are physically identical. Carbros tend to have a bit more relief but the process is much more finicky than carbon. If you have a good enlarger give the process a try. Just make sure that your work room is not too hot, say over 65º F.

One of the significant differences between the two processes is that carbro has a definite point where development ends, whereas carbon does not. The definite end point of development is one of the main reasons people preferred carbro to carbon in the 30s and 40s for commercial prints.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Luis Nadeau has a very detailed book that is out of circulation. I got mine directly from him in 1996. He was very responsive so you might try contacting him. Also Allworth Press published "Historic photgraphic processes" by Farber it is less detailed but an easier read. I've had both these for some time and there has been some tissue progresses so more current information may be available.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Sandy and Thomas. I shall investigate the references you mention. Now that there are more varied means for enlarged negative production, this route could be an option to consider.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Thank you Sandy and Thomas. I shall investigate the references you mention. Now that there are more varied means for enlarged negative production, this route could be an option to consider.
    Roy,

Just to clairfy, with carbro one way or the other, either by contact or projection printing, you will eventually need to make a bromide print the same size as the final carbro because the carbro process works by chemical rather than light sensitization. That is what carbro means, i.e. car(bon) + bro(mide).

Sandy

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=sanking]
    Just to clairfy, with carbro one way or the other, either by contact or projection printing, you will eventually need to make a bromide print the same size as the final carbro .Sandy[QUOTE]

Sandy,
    Thanks. In view of your earlier comments and without making matters over complicated, I would probably opt for what would seem to be the less involved process, Carbon. Presumably that would require a contact print. I shall delve into this in more detail later when I have had a chance to read some texts.
    Thanks for your help so far.

Roy.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=roy][QUOTE=sanking]
    Just to clairfy, with carbro one way or the other, either by contact or projection printing, you will eventually need to make a bromide print the same size as the final carbro .Sandy

Sandy,
    Thanks. In view of your earlier comments and without making matters over complicated, I would probably opt for what would seem to be the less involved process, Carbon. Presumably that would require a contact print. I shall delve into this in more detail later when I have had a chance to read some texts.
    Thanks for your help so far.

Roy.
    LOL....Roy, I am sorry for laughing but thinking of carbon printing as a less involved process is an oxymoron...

You want fairly simple try pt/pd, van dyke, or any of the other processes...Carbon is on a class by itself. Just making the godforsaken tissue is a PITA in itself. I am on my 3rd try and finally got two good sheets.

Don Bryant tried with the B&S tissue, that seems to be the way to go.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    You want fairly simple try pt/pd, van dyke, or any of the other processes...Carbon is on a class by itself. Just making the godforsaken tissue is a PITA in itself. I am on my 3rd try and finally got two good sheets.
    Jorge,

Don't give up because the rewards are great. You are making great progress. On my 8th try I was still cleaning up the pigmented gelatin that exploded from my mixing blender on the 4th try.

Sandy

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Jorge]LOL....Roy, I am sorry for laughing but thinking of carbon printing as a less involved process is an oxymoron...

Jorge, you have over simplified a phrase from my posting by taking it out of context. I was referring to a comment by Sandy that Carbon is less finicky than Carbro. I know nothing about either process and my interest was sparked by some images I saw on the Alternative Photography newsletter by "Carbromac". I am under no delusion about how involved some of the old processes are as I have dabbled in some myself and I realise how masters of their arts are able to spark interest by the quality of their work and the impact it makes. (I refer partly to the work by you and Francesco,in passing). I am on a fact finding mission because I have seen something that appeals to me photographically. After research, I may well find that I have to stand back and appreciate the work of others.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=roy]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    LOL....Roy, I am sorry for laughing but thinking of carbon printing as a less involved process is an oxymoron...

Jorge, you have over simplified a phrase from my posting by taking it out of context. I was referring to a comment by Sandy that Carbon is less finicky than Carbro. I know nothing about either process and my interest was sparked by some images I saw on the Alternative Photography newsletter by "Carbromac". I am under no delusion about how involved some of the old processes are as I have dabbled in some myself and I realise how masters of their arts are able to spark interest by the quality of their work and the impact it makes. (I refer partly to the work by you and Francesco,in passing). I am on a fact finding mission because I have seen something that appeals to me photographically. After research, I may well find that I have to stand back and appreciate the work of others.
    Nah Roy, you will get there, all I am saying is buckle up and be prepared to fail more than once....or twice,...or three times....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin