Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,266   Online: 880

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223 LastLast

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I am looking forward hearing from the DAS group-buyers about their experiences with the magic powder. I am using it also with caseïn now and this works very well! Tonal range looks (a lot) longer that with normal dichromated casein.

kees

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Kees,

Are you referring to caseïn/DAS prints as in an alternative to Gum/Dichromate prints here?

I'm yet to start mine, but before I do I'm also keen to hear of everyone else's experiences.

I'm hoping my negatives will look ok with the longer tonal range (some are 1100mm tall and are very expensive to output)

What is your opinion about the idea of using a spray gun to lay down pigment layers considering the lowered toxicity of Caseïn/DAS emulsion?

Benjamin

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Hello Benjamin,

Yes I do refer to casein/DAS as a gum/dichromate replacement. Casein printing has a lot in common with gum. With DAS, printing is very straight forward. Developing a DAS/CAS print is ultra fast! My gum negatives are too flat for DAS/casein but that might be corrected by cutting down the casein/DAS ratio. Now I am using a 8% (powdered) casein solution, with 2% ammonium carbonate and 1 gram DAS (1%) per 100ml. This is a higher colloïd/ DAS ratio than I am using in carbon printing. I will test if I can cut that in half and see what that does with the tonal range.

A spray gun might work. It would be interesting to have such a coating option, because brush coating casein is somewhat more difficult than gum. And for both techniques, coating large surfaces is not evident. But be careful, any toxicity of DAS has never been discribed, but this might be due to the fact that there has not been much research in this respect. But with the knowledge we have it would be much much safer than spraying dichromates.

Kees

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it is time to reanimate this old fantastic thread:

Diazo/DAS is also used replace dichromate in Collotype:

http://www.phototypie.fr/wordpress/e...s-bichromates/

The side contains a nice description about Collotype.

For the carbon print: I tried for long time to sensitize coated gelatin layers with a brush. This works in principle even with the Speedball sensitizer. However I always get some degree of fog. (Even on the unexposed parts of the gelatin layer). So I add the DAS now to the gelatin before coating.

Many thanks to Chris for making the DAS available. Since I’ve access to a photo spectrometer I made some absorption spectrum of DAS in water. It has a maximum around 333nm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails das_spectrum.jpg  

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaisenbrey View Post
    I think it is time to reanimate this old fantastic thread:

Diazo/DAS is also used replace dichromate in Collotype

Since I’ve access to a photo spectrometer I made some absorption spectrum of DAS in water. It has a maximum around 333nm.
    Hi,

This is very good news! And your site is very impressive too. Did you observe sensitivety differences or the need to adapt your negatives with DAS compared to dichromate?
    And thanks for the spectrometer data.

Kees

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keesbran View Post
    Hi,

This is very good news! And your site is very impressive too. Did you observe sensitivety differences or the need to adapt your negatives with DAS compared to dichromate?
    And thanks for the spectrometer data.

Kees
    Hello Kees,

The collotype is not my work. (But I would like to try the process) So I don’t know how they have to adapt the process.

For carbon print:
    I changed too many parameters to directly compare the results with DAS and dichromate. (I’m still on my way to learn the process of carbon printing)
    The sensitivity changes a little but the exposure time is in the range of some minutes with my “face tanner” UV light (~50cm distance).
    I have the impression that DAS is working a little softer, but I might be wrong. The gamma can be influenced by the amount of DAS (as reported before) and also by the amount of pigment. I think the gamma should be directly proportional to the amount of pigment. With high amount of pigment it gets of cause difficult to distribute it equally in the glop. (I start with glycerin/pigment/some water and use a glass muller).

For a formula like this:

500mg lamp black (Kremer pigments 47250 Flammruß)
    ~1ml glycerin
    ~1g sugar
    35ml water
    150mg DAS (in 5ml water)

on 17cmx25cm Paper

I get a gamma of 0.7-0.8 on a transparent support. That should lead to a reflective gamma (on a paper support) of about 1.5. So it is in the range of silver-gelatin paper.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yashasvi bhuta View Post
    Yes, that is the same material; CAS 2718-90-3
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format

source for DAS/ Diazo

Here is a European source for DAS/ Diazo :

http://www.phototypie.fr/product.php?id_product=14

I have no relation to the shop except of being their client and being a fan of their webpage about collotype (http://www.phototypie.fr/wordpress/e...ee-phototypie/ )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaisenbrey View Post
    Here is a European source for DAS/ Diazo :

http://www.phototypie.fr/product.php?id_product=14
    Not a bad price at $1.31/gram.

I couldn't help but notice that they've taken my pamphlet, translated it into French and put it on their website.

I've been duped... I sold it so low that others are able to make a profit reselling it! And plagiarised to boot, but in another language, so I guess that's kinda cool...

Ay yay yay
    Last edited by holmburgers; 01-28-2014 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin