Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,904   Online: 1075

Shooter
    Medium Format

Turned a broken scanner into a uv light source for cyanotypes or VDB

so i heard someone did this and i thought it would be better than what i was already doing to process cyanotypes

i took a old broken scanner and gutted it then bought a calsun face tanner off ebay for 60 bucks and gutted it too and put the guts in the scanner... the starters and ballast barely fits also besides screwing in some components and taping up all external holes with elec. tape it was easy... one good thing is that it comes with its own egg timer and uv protective goggles...

after running it for 30 minutes im satisfied there no shorts in the system and no real heat buildup... and found exposure times a little less than 7 minutes... with no evidence of uneven lighting... next step is to tape cloth along the side of the lid to drap over the sides to prevent uv light from escaping through the sides

i think i voided the warranty :-)

enjoy!

IMG_1702 by Heespharm, on Flickr

IMG_1703 by Heespharm, on Flickr

IMG_1704 by Heespharm, on Flickr

IMG_1705 by Heespharm, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format

Untitled by Heespharm, on Flickr
    crappy iphone shot of print... lots of noise

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! Fabulous thinking!! Congrats to you! sam

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is a good idea, but you can't play with oversize.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kissssss View Post
    This is a good idea, but you can't play with oversize.
    sure you can just remove the lid and place it upside down on a rack till the uv rays shine in the area you want

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin