Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,448   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Breaking the Bank in Canada

Rant/Frustration begins:

Is it possible to do pure alternative process (e.g. no digital negatives) in Canada without breaking the bank? The pain point seems to be getting the proper film stock for creating the enlarged digital negative. I was all set to buy 50 sheets of some 8x10 direct positive film from a supplier in the U.S. until I found out that the USPS delivery charge would turn my $50 order into a $100 order

Does anyone know of a source in Canada that sells the appropriate sheet film?

In the meantime it's back to the Hybrid process with Pictorio ... with the prices I am facing I can't afford to maintain pure analog karma.
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure about Canada but I have been using x-ray duplicating film for many years to enlarge negatives for pt/pd printing. Kodak dental x-ray duplicating film XOMAT-2 with Kodak GBX chemistry. The film is not cheap but maybe your dentist can help you find it. 50 sheets approx. $130.
    It is an excellent film for that purpose as well as to dup x-rays. It stores well under refrigeration.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got tired very quickly of digital negatives (my printer seemed incapable of any consistency). I aquired an old 8x10 (spent more money on 6 film holders than I did on the camera) and do analogue alt prints (cyano, pt/pd, gum, combo prints, and am working on carbon) with both my 4x5 and 8x10 negs. I try to avoid buying from the States, not just because of the cost of shipping, but due to the crap shoot of Canada customs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hear what you're saying, but my favourite camera for shooting is a 645 that I can handhold; going with an 8x10 (or even a 4x5) does place a limit on the kind of shot you can do.

I'm happy with the pictorio negatives and I guess I will keep going with that process unless I luck into a stash of film that doesn't quadruple my cost. Personally, since my workflow is analog at both ends (with the digital process in the middle) I don't feel I'm being disloyal to the analog process (I just can't post my work on APUG).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have made many Pictorico negatives as well as many with the duplicating film. Both have yielded excellent results but the dup film to my eye gives me a better print. It is more work and you can not do as much manipulation as with PS. The Pictorico does cost about half though. I'm using an Epson 2200 for the Pictrico and maybe a newer printer would be somewhat better?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For me cost is a definite consideration; I'm in the doghouse at home much of the time for the price of my hobby :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I find the time... (Yes, a joke of a busy guy with two active sons, and busy wife.) I expose what ever format of original neg onto old lithographic film. If you can find a print shop, they may still have some from the 'old days'. It is speed wise not unlike enlarging paper, and ortho, so develop in a tray by inspection under a brightish red safelight. Use a low developing agent formula to bring contrast gamma down to pictorial levels.

Either direct reversal process it, or contact print it to yield the enlarged negative, and then develop it to the gamma and Dmax your particular alt process needs.

Litho film can be quite large; I cut down the big stuff, or just use the 17x21 or whatever it is stuff full sized, and trim it later after processing to fit into the contact frame.

The edge few inches of the old stuff can be fogged, and the emulsion itself can be kind of soft compared to mordern film, so this approach is most handy.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wonder what will happen when all the old stocks are either gone, or really really expensive :-(

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What do 50 sheets of 8x10 film weigh? Surely there's an alternative to getting hosed?
    Could FilmPlus(http://www.filmplus.ca/index.html) help out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got curious

Here is a link to a dental supply place in Toronto with one listing:

http://www.alphadental.com/webstore/...age=contact_us

Here is how I found them:

http://ca.carestreamdental.com/en/fi...cessories.aspx
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin