Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,882   Online: 933

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

UV Exposure Unit question

Could someone explain what the difference is between the UV exposure units
    sold specifically for alternative photo processes (like Freestyle sells) and the UV
    exposure units sold for silkscreening purposes (like you see on ebay all the time).
    The silkscreen units seem to be about half the price of the "photo" ones.
    I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fundamentally, there isn't really any difference. But as for the details...UV exposure units sold for alt-process typically have more lights, closer together. More lights + more ballasts = more costs. The extra lights help create more even illumination (to avoid "stripes" on you prints), and shorter exposure times, due to higher UV output from the additional lights. It's possible one of the screen-printing units could work very well, but it could also result in uneven exposure due to the bulb spacing. Exposure requirements for silk screens are much less exacting than for alt-prints.

The best advice would be to try the less-expensive unit if you have the opportunity (and can return or get a refund if it is unacceptable.)

Good luck--

Greg

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks Greg. I suspected the difference in the lamps might be the difference.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Check out Sandy King's article on UV light sources on unblinkingeye.com

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Light/light.html
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin