Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,173   Online: 1014

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Salt printing failure

Do not try this at home...

Well, I made a half decent salt print about a year and a half ago, at which time I salted several pieces of Weston Parchment with the gelatin and salts. It has been way too long for me to remember the exact receipe I used.

In a couple days I need to have some prints ready for the annual university Art Dept Faculty and Staff show. So I thought, I got one print easy enough, I'll just make three from very similar negatives (8x10's of each of my boys). Print today, mat tomorrow and frame them up and turn them in on Thursday before I leave town for a week.

I am not looking for perfect prints -- in fact as the triplets have very different body-styles and personalities, the images should not look identical. In fact, I would not mind some rough looking prints to match the rough and tumble personalities of the boys.

Ah...the well laid plans of mice and men. And probably not well laid at all, really...

I rod-coated the sheets, using 2ml of 10% sensitizer per sheet. The first test (15 min in a "pizza oven") was way too light. So I double coated the remaining sheets with another 2ml of the silver nitrate/citric acid sensitizer. The next image, exposed for 30 minutes is still too light (even before the fixer!). I did get some better density on the ends where there was more sensitizer left by the rod. I got another sheet exposing for two hours right now.

So I just triple coated the remaining sheets with 3 ml more of the sensitizer. Holding the sheets up to the light, they look a little splotchy, but they are drying right now and I'll see how they print in an hour or so. (Maybe I'll hit them with a hair drier to speed things up.)

We'll see how it all turns out. I should know better than to try to get final prints with an almost brand new process! LOL!

Below is that good image from my first (and only) salt printing session. A 5x7 print from a camera negative. On a different paper and salted differently probably, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lions.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 08-09-2011 at 11:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well. managed to get a couple decent prints, only one worth framing up.

Bryce
    Scanned salt print
    8x10 negative -- blue sensitive x-ray film developed at the hospital's lab
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bryce1.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin