Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,067   Online: 1098

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ammonium Citrate mould

Just returned to a bottle of Ammonium Citrate developer that's been sitting ... for a while. There appeared to be mould in the bottom of the bottle ... which filtered out easily with my usual high tech coffee filters. Have googled around the problem, without much luck ... just wondering if there was anything I could add or do to prevent this happening again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not seen it personally, but have read of it happening. I am not sure, but storing it in the freezer may dissuade mould growth.
    Be sure to let fully warm before openning the bottle, so as to avoid condensation issues.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I get a little bit of that swirling around in mine, I shake it vigorously, use it and all seems well so far..Ec

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would not add anything to your developer. Just filter and print, and repeat if necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In one of the alternative photography technique books - I can't remember which one - it does say that mould is fond of growing in the Ammonium Citrate solution. It certainly does in mine. The book says this is normal - just filter it through gauze or a filter paper . I've done this many times and it seems to do no harm.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent advice all round - cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Various molds and bacteria find citric acid and its salts to be very tasty. Keep the solution in the refrigerator. As a general principle do not freeze solutions. Some chemicals once they crystalize out may be very hard to get back into solution. However,I don't think that this would be a problem with ammonium citrate.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To solve the mould issue on Ferric Ammonium Citrate for cyanotype, I add about 2ml of Listerene mouthwash to each 100ml of solution. There is no effect on cyanotype printing but I do not know how it would interact in your situation.

Best regards,

Evan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin