Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,809   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My epic battle with lith.. today's problem - streaks!

I'm just checking in with my regularly scheduled lith issues

I'm getting these lighter toned streaks running up the portrait orientation of my Foma 111 16x20 paper. I used this paper before in 11x14 without this happening, although at that time I was using LD-20 developer and now I have the Moersch stuff.

I tried agitating the opposite direction of the streaks to no avail. My only suspicion is that they are some kind of mark showing up from when the paper was coated. I should mention that I've used this same package of paper for straight printing and there was no hint of streaks.

So, any ideas? Chalk it up to bad paper and call it a day? Or is there a wildcard I may be overlooking?

Technical details: Fomabrom 111, Moersch A+B 1+1+18 (yes, it's strong!)

Version 1 at +3 stops:

Version 2 at +2 1/2 stops:
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know what's causing it since I'm a newbie, but the streaks sure looks great on this picture. The only thing I can think of is, do you put it directly in the stop bath or do you hold it up to let the developer drain off first?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen this on various papers in lith - Foma 123, Foma 112, Varycon, Slavich. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I suspect it is something to do with the paper coating, you would never see it in regular printing and it's not a coating defect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    to quote Tim Rudman ..."Lith has a way of showing up emulsion flaws that regular processing 'to completion' does not show."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like the paper to me. I've never had the problem with Foma, but I've seem much worse with Slavich. Freestyle has a liberal return policy if that is where you purchased it....or just use it for extra character!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never lithed, so I can't help. And although I have no idea what that first image is, I like the looks of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could try adding some restrainer to the developer, potassium bromide or sodium sulfite. Or dilute the developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've no idea, beyond what RobK says. I have never had (knock on wood) streaks like that, but I do use a higher dilution, 35-40 degress C temperature and hilarious amounts of agitation. Lith is like herding a bunch of cats sometimes, you get bitten and scratched and meowed at, but still they're so cute that you can't stop to give it another try.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had the same thing! Can't remember but think it was with the Slavich paper. I was too eager to bring them home from my darkroom and transported them still wet in a plastic bag on the bus for an hour and a half...
    Most of the Lith prints had the same kind of streaks that shows in yours and I ended up chucking them. I will not do that stupid mistake again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure exactly what defect you are referring to in the images. Perhaps you could add an arrow pointing it out.

In any event, I used to get irregular banding when I would develop lith film or anything needing extended development time in trays with troughs or ribs in the base. I switched to flat-bottomed Cesco trays and the problems went away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin