Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,217   Online: 1223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

A "Slightly Wierd' Process

Hello to All,
    Because I ran out out of some chemicals that I use in my typical research, I started fooling around with what I had. I cecided to try one of my "cmyk color separations" on multipal layers of glass, but use only white pigment on each layer. Since I had no white watercolor pigment, I used White Out. The stuff used to correct typewriting errors. (Who still uses typewriters?!) The MSDS lists only TiO2 and 2 kinds of naphtha as the components. I added the White Out to the "Glass Subbing" that I have described on this Forum. It is ,basicly, PVA treated with amino- silane. Tot this I added a saturated solution of potasium dichromate. Coated onto clean glass, dried,exposed and developed in warm water.
    I have attached two images. They are both of the same 4 layered glass image. One is scaned as a transparency and is a positive image. The other is scaned as a reflective image and looks like the negatice of the other.
    BTW- The guy in the image is me. Ain't I cute. Ladies ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails me pos.jpg   me neg.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I thought it was a picture of Charlie Manson.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you place the glass against a dark background does it reverse like an ambrotype?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    smieglitz,
    Unfotunately no. Transmited light is required for it to look like a positive. See attachement.

Bob,
    Charlie did have a very loyal "Harrem". "Evil" women loved that guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails me black background.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say "slightly weird" is quite an understatement. Way beyond creative. Way to go! (And I think I'll have whatever it is you're having...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, ever think about alternating black and white layers? Be a super bas relief.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, you look older than the last time I saw you. Well, so do I. Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Deny- Thanks. Working with chemicals all the time,for about 50,years, I don't realy know what I "have had" or "am having".
    Gary- There being 1/16 inch of glass between each layer, there is already alot of relief. It does not show with scans. As you can see from the scans, there is already "blacks" in the transmited light scan. I think that this is due to the fact that the transmited light is partialy blocked by the highlights in the glass negative.
    PE-That just means that it has been too long since we have seen each other.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Deny-Thanks! Since I have been working with chemicals for about 50 years, I don't realy know what I " have had" or "am having"!
    Gary- since there is 1/16 inch of glass between each layer, there is already alot of relief. Looking at the transmited light image, you can see that there are already" blacks". It is due to the fact that the white pigment partialy blocks the transmited light.
    PE- That is only because we have not seen each other in a long time. Maybe we can remidy that soon.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill,

Your sheer Edisonian inventiveness never ceases to amaze (and inspire.) Cool!

ps to others: In real life, Bill could be taken for Brad Pitt's older brother (albeit in one of Brad's scruffier renditions) except for Bill's turquoise eyes that you'd swear must have had the saturation cranked up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin